• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

the new V72 (pre order closed)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay guys i´m working on it. I´ll try to contact Haufe, the original manufacturer for the transformers. Maybe they can do another run.  ;)

cheers

Might be an old transformer, but… I love the way that Sowter has their telephone and fax numbers on the label.  It's like the eighties, nineties and noughties never happened!

I'd rather buy audio gear from a company founded in 1941, and with a director with the same name as the company, than from one that says "Hit me up on Facebook"

Nick Froome

Trying to figure out an overall cost.
Besides the included power transformer, (will it power a stereo pair)
what type and quanity of other transformers are needed?
What tubes are used? Is anybody making the faceplate?
Thanks

MRecords said:
Tube is EF86 or EF806.

Hey MRecords,

Tube Question:
I did some research on original v72. in the original two EF804s Tubes are used.
what's the difference to EF806s or EF86? or how do they compare to EF804s??
i also wonder if it is possible to use EF804s with this project?

is it recommended to use a matched pair of tubes or is matching regardless??

thanks for making this project

Hi,

first check out this thread: http://www.neumann.com/forums/view.php?bn=neumann_archive&key=1015336865&v=f

First there was the EF12 which was used in the V41. Then there was the EF40 which was used in the first 300 V72. 1948 Mullard introduced the EF86. 1951 Telefunken started the 800 series of tubes. The EF804 used a differnent pinout to minimise crosstalk.

Quote from the thread above: The EF804/806s uses all the same mechanical parts like the EF86 only that the mica wafer were heat treaded and different cathode nickel was used. Soundwise EF86/804 and the 'S' are the same, were for the 'S' version a better noise figure is practical build in.

You don´t have to match the tubes.

I hope this answers your question.

Ok guys, new calculated kis wil be € 130,-. It includes the pcb, all onboard components (exept tubes), shippping cost and package, paypal fees, work time to get it done. The power transformer will be at €30,- for a stereo unit. 

I ordered 20 PCBs so there will be 20 kits available. When i have received the payment for the kits i´ll order everything else. At this point it will take about 10 woking days till i can ship the kits. So please if you´re interested send me a PM or email me at [email protected] with how many you want and what power trnsformer you want (stereo or mono and primary voltage).

Things you need to finish it: 1 input transformer, 1 choke and 1 output transformer, 2 tubes, a case and all the small parts that aren´t on the pcb like power switch, fuse + fuseholder, indicator, xlr etc.

Thanks guys

I thought a bit more about tube matching. If you use a stereo unit it´s maybe useful to use two matched pairs of tubes. One pair for both V1 sections and the other for both V2 sections. Gain should be the same with or without matching but the voltages inside can vary pretty much. Anyway matching within one unit is not necessary.

cheers

MRecords said:
If you use a stereo unit it´s maybe useful to use two matched pairs of tubes. One pair for both V1 sections and the other for both V2 sections. Gain should be the same with or without matching but the voltages inside can vary pretty much. Anyway matching within one unit is not necessary.

exactly what i wanted to know. thanks

Hey guys,

sorry for the late reply. If in the next week no one else jumps in i´ll close the pre order and order all the parts. I already have the PCBs. I hope i get the instruction manual done.

If you have any important questions please write me a mail. You´ll get faster response.

Thanks guys

fishdrop said:
MRecords said:
Okay guys i´m working on it. I´ll try to contact Haufe, the original manufacturer for the transformers. Maybe they can do another run.  ;)
cheers

any update on this?
would be very interesting.

+1 and it would be usable for a v76 project as well, right

Hey Martin,
Please let us know what's up with the project.
I remember you said something about 10 days after receiving the payment - now it's been
over a month already...so it would be great to know what's going on.
Thanks!

EDIT: just saw your post above  :)  thanks for the info Martin! ;)

MRecords said:
Hey guys,

sorry for the late reply. If in the next week no one else jumps in i´ll close the pre order and order all the parts. I already have the PCBs. I hope i get the instruction manual done.

If you have any important questions please write me a mail. You´ll get faster response.

Thanks guys

Back