Transformer ideas for Ian Thompson bell mic pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn...I just looked up 1/2" tape 2500' It is 149 dollars and 94 bux for 10.5 reel of 1/4" with reels...no just 1/4" pancakes
***##÷÷÷???
Better build your console dude...30 feet of tape for a fade out cymbal crash 😞
I have "tons" of literally "brand-new, still in shrinkwrap "AMPEX 632" recording tape that I need to get rid of. I "think" I may also have some 10-1/2" pancakes around here somewhere, but I don't really remember.

I also have a few 10-1/2" reels of AMPEX 406 and 407 and maybe a couple reels of "BASF 999" as well. It's been so long since I have even thought about this stuff that I don't remember what I've got anymore!!! If interested, let me know and I can go dig up and take a look at what I have sitting on the shelf. At 74-years old, I'm not gonna be doing anymore recording anytime soon!!! HUH??? What'd you say???

/

Last edited:
We paid $ 5200 to A&M for the 288-16...it was well cared for and my brother new something about them...I liked to run it at 30ips when i(the clients) could
2" x 2500 3m 996 was $ 110 a roll...3-4 songs eventually you could not even get 2" tape for a while and I went into sound system biz
I'm back to recording due to my age...Scully 280 channels are awesome front-end for digital rig.
Oh nice ! Sounds like you had a cool studio going ! What console were you using ?

Talking about using the scully as front end, are you using them as preamps or line level coloring ? I’ve had this idea for a long time to use something as a line level color after my console /‘mic preamps to mimic the older tape machine electronics color . Is it as easy as plugging the outs of the console/preamp onto the scully input and go out the scully output into the converter input or do the scullys have to be modded for this to work? And did scully keep the colored sound with transformers throughout their whole production life or did later ones get more transparent and lose the transformers etc like a lot of machines seemed to ? I think I have read they used germanium transistors too , so I’m sure that gave a nice warm sound .

Thanks again for your time and stories!

Hello everyone !

I am in the process of having Ian Thompson bell build a 12 channel line mixer and I am going to build his preamps And eqs to accompany it. I plan on building the preamps with zero negative feedback fixed gain with different pads and in his SRPP topology . I am trying to get a nice colored sound out of it and thought I would ask the forum what transformers they would recommend for a vintage colored sound . I am a big fan of
Mid 60s to about 1973 La sound like the mamas and papas, Jefferson airplane ,the beach boys pet sounds album, Crosby , stills , nash , buffalo Springfield ,the carpenters, Todd rundgren , carol king , America ( I’m actually not sure where America recorded but I love their sound ) . All of these seem to be kind of soft /dark in the topend which I find pleasing .obviously there is more at play than just transformers but I would love to hear your opinions ! I have spoke to David geren at cinemag ( a really nice and helpful guy ) and he recommended the cm-75101 , have any of you used it ? And if so do you think it would fit the sound i’m after ? I also have been talking To Chris at oep and he mentioned they have a nice version of a 10468 Like a never style transformer and is open to building custom stuff too and letting me try samples as well .

Also I should mention Ian’s design calls for a 1:10 input transformer and 2.4K:600 ohm output transformer .

Look forward to hearing any all opinions and sorry to write a novel!

Thanks !

Ethan
Hi,
am building something similar...
What look are you going for?
Rotary or sliding faders?
Best/
Tom

Hi,
am building something similar...
What look are you going for?
Rotary or sliding faders?
Best/
Tom
Hey Tom,

We ended up going for rotary faders because they were less expensive , and we were also trying to fit 12 channels into a 19” rack width chassis , Ian said over that the chassis is considered custom and gets expensive quick . He also put in a distortion circuit at the input for more color when I want it , 2 aux sends with dedicated returns , and direct outs on all 12 channels so if I want to track through the channels I can. I am going to have everything on a patchbay so i didn’t need any inserts , and am recording to an old otari radar 2 Hardisk recorder .

Did you go for rotary or sliders ? Are you us If Ian’s design or making your own? How many channels ? Do you have auxes and other master stuff ?

I always enjoy hearing a about these kind of projects ! I wish I were smart enough to build this stuff , but Ian has been Amazing to deal with , and very helpful and patient .. I keep telling him I’m pretty sure he is secretly a saint!

Thanks for your comment and good luck with your build ! Would love to see a picture when it’s done !

Best,

Ethan

Thegoldenlockedlamb -- [I’m building the preamps and eq / I wish I were smart enough to build this stuff] -- Should you check out the URL links that I have provided down below, you will see a wide variety of "rack-mount" electronic equipment I have designed for various companies. I have invested a significant amount of my own money in "Professional" CAD-design software programs (i.e., CADENCE/OrCAD "PCB Editor" Release 22.1 for PCB-designs and SolidWorks Premium for 3D CAD-Modeling Mechanical Designs and others) so I am able to offer my designing services to you from right here-at-home on a 34" monitor!!!

thakava
-- [am building something similar] -- I don't know what you are building there for yourself, but should you require any assistance with any PCB and/or mechanical designs, just ask.....OK??? I'm here to help!!!

https://app.box.com/s/ppsp38kb5rijeadt6i73q4u99nwurqqv
https://app.box.com/s/exihmfu3hx6s4zf9icxisobrko96ow4f
> I had designed this "256X256 Video Matrix Router/Switcher"
chassis by only working from a set of completed schematics!!!
This is a 12U "rack-mount" chassis that cost $20,000 when it
was fully-loaded with all circuit boards and possible options.

1691961720392.png

1691961078695.png

> These two "rack-mount" chassis were the prototype chassis I
had designed that brought the -- NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE --
technology of simultaneously transmitting both an analog and
digital AM & FM radio signal on the same frequency at the same
time to an actual reality!!! This eventually became the new worldwide
standard of radio broadcasting.....and -- I -- helped!!! Again, I was
only provided a set of completed schematics and the engineering
team merely told me, "You can go ahead and figure out how all of
the rest of these chassis will need to be designed". NOTE: These two
prototype chassis ended up costing $50,000 to build and 250 sets
of these prototype chassis were built at a cost of $12,500,000.00!!!

1691962773477.png
1691963380302.png
/

Latest posts

Back