What are your underestimate pieces of gear ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my symetrix 606 delay. One of the most deep hardware delay's i've ever used. capable of everything from simple tap delay to reverb and everything in between. Love that box.

My Sontec eqs the real one and the diy version too, the Api eq can't sleep if they are not in studio... A Good pair of Ns 10  more important gear for mixing: a good expresso machine!!

haha - the most valuable  piece of equipment here is the espresso machine.

if it goes down, EVERYBODY looses it til it's fixed.

part of the biz plan...get 'em hooked, then be the provider....

actually i think the Geffel M-300 small diaphragm condensor is great!
tight pick up pattern, great sound...almost like a large diaphragm.
supprised they aren't more expensive.

when i mix hip hop, i use the hell out of the drawmer 201s. filter listen to get a low filter of a submix, thickens the stew nicely, Ill dissect any sample loops and isolate individual instruments via gate and filter listen, then slow auto pan a hi instrument, or fast pan a low tone for a leslie effect, dissect the kicks into 3 or 4 portions then mix in back, also through the sub mix filter.  use a couple dozen channels to "rebuild" the loop. I used to love doing that stuff..

I just freaking love my new Be**ringer Ultrafex. After I took it all apart out of boredumb and replaced all the surface mount opamps and Capacitors.

Actually

sounds great on adding umph/click to kick.  Also has a neat stereo enhancer that is mono compatible...should just be mixing in an out of phase version on the opposite channel, but sounds like its doing something other than that...

since I'm praising craptacular gear.

MY audio Logic AT66 EDIT: (AUDIO LOGIC MT66) that I've done waay to many mods on to even call it the same. But really great for making a kick sound really punchy and in the face.

and thats about it. Of course the trimmers are trimmed all the way one way to make it sound even thicker.

I feel slightly dirty after admitting all of this....

Cloud CX335 split band comp/limiter

High quality UK rack unit for the "Club" market

Sounds like an SSL with extra Limiter, retail £500 but for £60 - BARGAIN !!

Contains several 2150 vca's and built like a tank.

Yummi
MM.

I got a question. I am about to buy myself a used compressor just for kicks. I am looking at either a Symetrix 501 or a urei 7110. If you could have one, which would you rather have around?

I like urei gear quite a bit, and it looks like there is a transformer option on the 7110, but the 501 gets all kinds of love on the net. Dunno. I just want a cheapish compressor that isn't the usual fair (FMR, ART), but still rocks hard.

I've never used the symetrix, but have used a 7110 (w/output transformer) and liked it alot.  Lots of control in that box, good tone, too.  It probably sounds good even without the iron . . . like the one in the black market (not mine, would be had I the cash).

ben

Insomniaclown said:
I got a question. I am about to buy myself a used compressor just for kicks. I am looking at either a Symetrix 501 or a urei 7110. If you could have one, which would you rather have around?

I like urei gear quite a bit, and it looks like there is a transformer option on the 7110, but the 501 gets all kinds of love on the net. Dunno. I just want a cheapish compressor that isn't the usual fair (FMR, ART), but still rocks hard.

In the cheap way but great sounding compressor, what about a Drawner DL221 ? I don't know for the modern version but this old 80's comp is great and works well on kick, snare, drums buss.

Best,

Ben.

Thanks for all those suggestions! There seems to be something about the 80's compressors that still holds up. I'll have to look into those Drawmers.

Loving this thread! There is so much gear out there that is worth a look, but just doesn't get the exposure it should. Low end options are limited, until you look into the past!

Latest posts

Back