What are your underestimate pieces of gear ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My little hidden treasure would be the AT4033,
I've used in place of U87 in many occasions.  Overheads, Guiltars, Vocals and etc..
BTW.. I did use both and optioned for the AT hands down..

Cool ! I had one and never thought putting it in front a kick, I'll try. BTW, inside the kick or in front of it ? Thanks.

BR said:
My little hidden treasure would be the AT4033,
I've used in place of U87 in many occasions.  Overheads, Guiltars, Vocals and etc..
BTW.. I did use both and optioned for the AT hands down..

I used it sometimes on acoustic gtrs, when I had an already full mix it helped the grts in the high end to cut thru the mix. Sometimes the U87 is too thick !!!
But in the same area of "clear mic" I now use the "bock 195 fet" : it has a little deeper sound than the 4033 (more like a U87 but not too much) and it's as clear as the 4033 without being too harsh. A really cool mic. The only negative point is that it's very sensitive to the "sss" with vocals, so it needs careful mic positioning but then, it cut right thru the mix like a charm !

evilcat said:
Cool ! I had one and never thought putting it in front a kick, I'll try. BTW, inside the kick or in front of it ? Thanks.

4429684767_6b43c8f669_b.jpg

Like so.  Tilted and turned so its safely off-axis.  I blended it with a D6.  The D6 provides the slap and the 4033 provides the boom.  This kick was a magical pairing.  This was from a session done on location in a 6000 sq. ft. mid-century house.  White marble and shag carpet! 

I've tried the 4033 on my own kick drums and have had less than stellar results.  I'm going to play with the tuning and head combinations soon.

MikoKensington said:
4429684767_6b43c8f669_b.jpg

Like so.  Tilted and turned so its safely off-axis.  I blended it with a D6.  The D6 provides the slap and the 4033 provides the boom.  This kick was a magical pairing.  This was from a session done on location in a 6000 sq. ft. mid-century house.  White marble and shag carpet! 

Nice room !!! Thanks for the photo.

Like so.  Tilted and turned so its safely off-axis.  I blended it with a D6.  The D6 provides the slap and the 4033 provides the boom.  This kick was a magical pairing.  This was from a session done on location in a 6000 sq. ft. mid-century house.  White marble and shag carpet!

I've tried the 4033 on my own kick drums and have had less than stellar results.  I'm going to play with the tuning and head combinations soon.

AT 4033 is on top of my still to buy list. What are the OH mics? They look funny.

And yes dynamic mics are underestimated.

underestimate pieces of gear:

(save your money on expensive multi-effects and buy:)
-alesis quadraverb
-Korg SDD1000,(Roland dep5), spring reverbs and analog delays even cheapos
-every speaker you can find
-shakers and small percussion, megaphone,...

reanimatorstudio said:
-alesis quadraverb

I used to have a quadraverb for a long time, great reverbs for not too much money.  They sit very will in mixes.  I actually just bought an Alesis Midiverb 2  (presets only, no parametric controls).  I bought it specifically for couple of presets on there called "bloom", which are reverse reverbs with very slow rise times, very diffuse, with long smooth decays.  Nothing beats these presets for turning random noodling into trippy atmospheres. The chorus is also handy for that 80's Cure/Crimson/Dimension D type vibe.  These units can be had pretty regularly for about $50-$70 on ebay.

In the cheap effect area you have the Ensoniq DP4 : for 200-300 $ you have 4 individual engines of great effects. It really, really sounds good !

reanimatorstudio said:
And yes dynamic mics are underestimated

Agree ! Last vocal session I did, I shooted out U87, bock195, SM7b and others and the winner was... the SM7b ! The Neuman is an excellent mic (as the Bock) but it was not the best suited for the task, the SM7b was more "rock'n'roll" ! ;D

RE 10s and RE 15s , They work on so many things.  You can get an aggressive vocal sound.  Great on Hi-hat.  So much presents without shitloads of top  thinness.  Female vocals can work the same way.  Airy with out so much sibilance.  just use a popfilter/ wind screen.  Al Schmitt's hi hat mic on numerous recordings.

EEMO1 said:
cabling!  ;D

Easy, but so right !  ;)

A piece that had a very short life, and it's a shame, is the Portico 5016 by Rupert Neve Design. I have one and it's a very useful gear. The preamp section is quite cool (not as good as my EZ1290 ;) but good anyway !) but it's the DI/Line section that is very useful because of his "Variable Phase" function.
When you rec a bass (DI + mic on cabinet) or an electric gtr with 2 mics, it makes life so much easier !
The fact that the 2 sections are independent is very cool ( not like their new portable unit with mic pre + comp + variable phase which is a one channel kind ! ) That way you can rec the mic with the pre, use the DI section for your bass, and put everyone in perfect phase relation with only one tiny box !!!

Ben

Also my Ibanez SDR1000 reverb.  Pretty lo-fi stuff, but true stereo processing (first ever to do this, I believe) and surprisingly smooth for a lo-res verb (27kHz sample rate, I believe).  The settings just sit well in a mix and sound very authentic and musical. 

I believe Sony (who built the SDR for Ibanez) made their own version called an MU-R201, IIRC. 

Ibanez units can be had for less than $200 with the Sony's going for a couple hundred more, it seems.  Never used the Sony myself.

JC

strangeandbouncy said:
   yamaha dynamic mics esp mx205/204 . . .

Just have to note it's MZ, not MX.  Nice mics.  I think the MZ-105, their take on the 57, is also pretty handy.

Yep, I like boundaries mic too ! I have a pair of Crown PZM and they're really cool mics : super clear, very "live", they capture a very "ambient sound". Not a go-to mic of course but it's cool to have some in your locked ;), especially if you got them cheaply on ebay (that was my case ;D).

Yep, I like boundaries mic too ! I have a pair of Crown PZM and they're really cool mics : super clear, very "live", they capture a very "ambient sound".

try it just in front on the floor of your guitar cab mixed with the close mic!!!!!
less phase problems

I'm not a big 2 source guy. That being said, I take a direct through my Evil Twin into Amplitude just in case the tone is totally wrong, needs to be reinforced, or sound different in a new section. Also I <3 my first run Shinny Box ribbon with a Cinemag OT on guitar amp.  So add those to the list.

Here's sort of a roundabout answer, but I gotta say my Yamaha CS01 is probably the most frequently used and underestimated "Swiss Army Knife" I have. It's battery powered with 1/4" output so whenever I need to troubleshoot a signal path or something I just pick it up and plug it in without having to hunt for a spare outlet. It has a white noise generator and sawtooth generator built in (nothing you'd use to calibrate something with, but good for a quick test). It's just bigger than a computer keyboard so it's super portable. It has it's own built-in speaker if I want to use it to just come up with quick ideas or record a quick melody idea to a portable recorder, or play them for somebody with out any setup time. It's capable of generating (dare I say) great basslines and even nicer leads, so plop it on top of any digital keyboard and you've got yourself a superior analog bassline or lead. Or record an entire scratch backing track with it. 4', 8', 16', 32' settings! No MIDI, but an add-on is available. I'm sure there are smaller digital boxes out there that will do tons more things but the ease use and simplicity of this thing can't be beat. And you can actually keep some of the sounds you record with it.

Back