fender rhodes electronics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gang of elk

i was recently given a rhodes 88 for free. it plays well but the electronics are missing. it's been rigged w a passive 1/4" output socket which sounds pretty good w an amp, i'm running it though an old silvertone that has nice vibrato so it's ok for now but i would like to find/build the proper electronics to make it whole again. anybody know where i can find schematics for the electronic bits? i'm guessing it's not terribly complex, volume, tone, and vibrato (w adjustable speed). the authentic rhodes vibrato is the main thing i'd like to get right. any ideas? thanks! -scott

the original electronics was just a little preamp that fed the solid state power amp in the cab below it. Nothing special by my estimation, that thing ALWAYS sounds better through a real amp, IMO. there is a company out there that sells repro preamps though, if you must have it...

dave

The Stage pianos had no vibrato, the Suitcase models did, but DyNoMyPiano made vibrato and enhanced tone retrofits for them. I have service manuals, but you may find tremolo upgrade kits or boards on the net rather than building a whole PCB.

thanks for the info and opinions. the model i have is an 88 stage. i was thinking these had something more special going on under the hood electronically but apparently not. maybe i'm thinking of an old whurly or something. i really don't know much about these so will spend some more time educating myself before i bother you guys w more enquiries, next time something comes up.

i think i'll keep the rhodes set up w my silvertone tube guitar amp and do something to clean up the vacant electronics area, maybe install some dummy knobs or rubber plugs or something. i don't think i'd gain anything by installing original electronics unless i decided to sell it or something, which i don't plan to do, so i'll keep it the way it is.

btw, i've enjoyed following the discussions here for a couple months now. looking fwd to starting my first real diy project soon, an ssl clone. i've built a few kits, racked a few cards/modules, recapped my console, but now ready to make the plunge into building something from scratch. w/o this forum i don't think i'd have the wherewithall or encouragement to get it together. so thanks again! -scott

scott-

the only real reason to add the electronics would be if you had the rhodes amplifier that went with it, then youd need it if I remember correctly. You could add the electronics and modify it for a line out if you needed the vibrato effect. The best sound Ive gotten from a rhodes, which I record almost as often as a guitar, is using the passive pickups.

dave

thanks PRR for those schematics. very nice.

and dave, today i spent a couple hours playing around w the rhodes/guitar amp combo (and drinking guinness!) and after some futzing w levels, etc, i'm really digging the sound. nice edge and plenty of bottom, and plenty of frothy detail (maybe that's the guinness talkin). at first i viewed this setup as a compromise but really i just needed to spend some time with it, it sounds great. cheers, -scott

:guinness:

Latest posts

Back