monitor speaker wire

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

a fuse can probably... errr might save a woofer but not a tweeter
... even so this is the wrong solution here

the solution is to only bring the speaker amp up after the desk is up and stable.

a speaker selector or minitoring switcher with a mute position would help here.

Kev is correct. I've often thought about developing a time delay relay for speaker protection. It would need to be something simple, completely external, yet universal. Who hasn't rebooted their computer with the volume cranked? This little thang would also have to inc. a PIC so that it could get notice from a serial port that a shutdown was in progress. Now do you disconnect the main power (probably not fast enough), disconnect the speaker (what about tube amps, plust the amp itself still get hit with the transient), or probably the best answer is break the input to the amp? Now how to notify the box in a non-PC enviroment? Mebe I should stop thinking in print......... sorry.

no, not hard to remember
but
you are not always there for the re-boot.

if you leave your gear on 24/7 ... or you are just out making a cup of coffee and there is a power glitch
:roll:

It doesn't take much for a computer to re-boot
we have BIG scale Backup power but unless it is a dedicated UPS, computers are likely to re-boot and the first sign of a power outage.

I think a simple DAW monitoring volume control and switcher that boots into the mute position is what should be on ALL DAWs.

This type of project is a work in progress at the Factory ... with Mikkels help of course,

RelVol3-PCB-photo.495_400.jpg
RelVol3 prototype board

http://electronics.dantimax.dk/

maybe a "self holding" speaker relay, powered from the same source as the computer could solve the problem, alltough i dont know if it's fast enough.

yep
that works and have done that with success
and this can be built into the amp itself

effectively that is how things will work in the unit above
trick is to get the unit ... or relay ... to be as sensetive to the power as the computer is when it reboots.

some modern computers don't powered up after a power source failure
... they have a soft start button hold thingo

[quote author="Butterylicious"]My PC pops louder on the shut down side ...[/quote]yeah :roll: shit does happen
I don't know what you can do about that
UPS and just be in control of the volume knob

Latest posts

Back