Studio Cables?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trouble with A-B testing for studio and Patch Panel cabling is that you can't A-B the whole studio.

Only those that have built studios and control rooms a number of times can know the effect of different techniques and different product choices.

Here where I work may not be the worlds larges facility but we have had 4 working control rooms and multiple edit suites
... and an OB facitliy with 2 fully equiped trucks and a couple of extras.

I have been involve for more than 10 years with their refitting and expansions and subsequent closures.

We use Belden Canare Mogami and a small amount of Connectortonics
ADC and Switchcraft patch panes

Good cabling IS very expensive and worth every penny.
Even my own personal facility has many thousands of dollars invested in cable and connections.

my comments and opinions constitue crap on the internet as well. If people actually went and investigated these things for themselves, arguments like this would never, ever, ever occur. Why? Becuase they will have listened to the shit and made their own opinion.

I'll ask all day long about how $200 transformers sound different because I cant afford to buy 20 and listen to them all. But a $4 cable or a $0.20 cent cap? Ugh, thats just lazy. Anyone that cant afford the cable is welcome to stop by here anytime and listen to some different stuff.

And while we are at it, all caps sound the same too. Oh, and all electrolytics sound bad.

but panasonics are the best.

good luck.

Original poster, whomever you are, sorry the monkees starting throwing shit at each other. Check out some different cable types and you'll see what Im talking about. Match up the tone you get out of the cables with the pF/foot rating to draw some conclusions about what is best for what. If you buy 10 feet of several different cables and put connectors on them you should be able to hear the nuances, then multiply that by a thousand if you are thinking about installation. The nice part of an experiment like that is you dont have to rely on the info you got which has no reference point in your own audio world AND you get to recycle the short lengths you've purchased as patch cables. Check out the redco cable next to mogami, thats an eye opener.

dave

A cable company called Gepco sent me a catalogue. I thought that someone might be interested in their products.

http://www.gepco.com/

Let the fights Begin!
:green: :guinness:

[quote author="RogerFoote"]I agree with jrmintz...

Gotham GAC-2, hands down the quietest i have ever used. It's got about 3 times the copper in the shield. I have it in all my cabling, including un balanced where I used GAC-1.[/quote]

I like gotham as well. I use GAC-2 for most of my mic cables. I also use GAC-1 for important guitar recording. hi-gain especially, can make a big difference over the guitarist's regular crappy cables.

Ive used lots of mogami, but honestly multi conductor gepco is just fine for fixed installations and it is alot cheaper. easy to strip, sounds good, color coded :thumb:

mike

Back