aux's on a passive summing mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldsnow

To make Aux sends for effects on a passive summing mixer (the one people use on her with the 5K resister)I was planning on taking a single XLR input and spliting it for stereo operations. Then can I split it 4 ways two going to stereo buss and two to two different aux sends and returned on different line inputs on the mixer? Do I need to reverse the polarity for the aux's?

So "summing mixer", huh?... "redundant tautology", maybe?

Sorry if my post doesn't add any "helpful assistance", but it's a rather "bothersome pet-peeve" of mine.

:razz:

Peace,
Al.

just to elaborate... summing and mixing is the same thing so you don't need to use the two terms together.

This happens a lot in language so its no biggie:

Torpenhow Hill, is a place in England but its name a derived by the languages of the cultures that lived around it at various points through history ie. "Tor" is SW-English for hill, "Pen" is Celtic for "Head", "hōh" means "spur of high ground" in Anglo-Saxon and "Hill" means "Hill" (obviously) so Torpenhow Hill means "Hill Hill Hill Hill" in various dialects.

no idea about the Aux problem tho!!

i'd guess that to do it all passively would be awkward because adjusting Aux levels would probably alter other things in the system too, but i don't see a problem with putting a very high input impedence active stage onto the channel to drive the Auxes.

...but i'm only new so i could be wrong. i'm sure somebody cleverer than me will be along to help soon.

When you start to add aux pots into a simple passive summing m. . . . .atrix ( :razz: ) the source impedances into the summing buss start to change, and then each channel is not sending equal level to the output. Look at a block diagram of the simplest "active" mixers and there are buffer opamps at each stage of change, split, or combine.
Systems with a passive matrix use should use some analog DAW outs as cue or aux sends, going to a cue amp or to FX which then return to the summing adding combining mixer matrix.

[quote author="alk509"]So "summing mixer", huh?... "redundant tautology", maybe?

Sorry if my post doesn't add any "helpful assistance", but it's a rather "bothersome pet-peeve" of mine.

:razz:

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

Me too!

I prefer to call them mixers with no features. Or 'featurely challenged' mixers. Thats not a word is it...

M

Latest posts

Back