The Rockwell/Collins IC-10A Console Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought about scanning and posting them but I wasn't sure about the etiquette. Autogram isn?t making this kind of console anymore, but the company still exists and they definitely sell the manuals (which is how I got the schematic).

Is it bad form to post them in this case, or do folks think it?s all right to put them out there?

So I've started getting a fair amount of email from people all over the world who own or are looking for info on this console. Good work Google.

One of the folks that emailed me said that Autogram had been sold and he couldn't get the manual for this console anymore. I started looking into this and found this from Radio World:

---
RW Opinion: Best of Luck, Ernie and DeLores

The warmest meeting we had during the recent NAB Radio Show was with Ernie and DeLores Ankele. You read in RW recently that the Ankeles had sold their majority ownership in console manufacturing company Autogram to Circuit Research Labs (which also owns Orban). Autogram production now moves from Plano , Texas , to Benton , Ark.

Autogram was founded in 1969 as part of packaging company Day Manufacturing. The Ankeles subsequently bought out that owner. Ernie Ankele told us two years ago that he and his wife were ready to retire and had hired a broker to help them sell their majority interest in the company; at that time he was 81, she was 75.

We’re happy for CRL, delighted that the brand name will be carried on and pleased for the Ankeles that they’ll have some well-earned relaxation time after decades in the console biz. But our feelings are bittersweet; and we can’t help but view the news as another departure among a generation of rock-ribbed, “old school” analog manufacturing companies whose products, it seems, lasted forever and whose owners were as much a part of each sale as the technology.

RW Editor in Chief Paul McLane says, “The affection and friendship that the Ankeles showed me year after year was a sustaining part of my experience at trade shows, dating to a convention in the mid-1980s when the couple took me out to dinner with no agenda other than to make sure I didn’t spend an evening away from home alone. They are kind, classy people, the best that Texas has to offer.”

We’ll miss them."
---

According to the CRL website, they bought Autogram in July. I talked to Ernie in June when I was looking for a manual -- I never would have guessed he was 83. He sure sounded good on the phone! But I too wish them the best of luck.

And in the spirit of sharing, I finally had the manual scanned. It was a big file, so I had to break it up into a lot of component parts to get it up on Group DIY.

Here's the link:

http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/thumbnails.php?album=53

There are LOTS of schematics inside, from individual modules (pages 18-25) to the full chassis schematics. I'd love it if anyone wanted to critique the mic preamp circuit. I'm definitely not yet qualified to do so.

Wow...I used to have some contact with Ernie, who often picked up the telephone when I called Autogram! I had no idea that he was in his 70's/80's.

I hope CRL continues with the same level of customer service that Autogram provided over these many years.

As for the mic preamp...it's basically a discrete opamp, with +/- 24V rails (a Good Thing!).

Bri

I have an 8 channel version of this console. Mine's an Autogram AC8. I'm really interested to see what becomes of this thread!

Hi,

I've finally powered up my Rockwell/Collins IC-10A console and all is well except on of the Monitor Amplifiers isn't working.  Anyone know of someone that can repair it or a source for a used part?

Thanks for any help!

Eric

If Attogram is still no help I might try Bob Mayben.

http://www.bobmayben.com/index.html

Latest posts

Back