Need some help building a Power Supply??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS: I actually thought when useing a Center tapped transformer you just use 2 Wires?? Maybe I"m just Stupid??

Think of "centre-tapped' - implies a coil with an extra connection (tap). So centre tapped would be tapped in the middle. Gives us 3 wires.

Can also be done with 2 separate windings by joining 2 of the wires together. So if you have 2 x 13v AC secondaries (4 wires) on the transformer, joining 2 of them will give you the 3 wire scenario as above, the joined pair being the "centre-tap".

Be careful tho'. you need to loin the correct 2 wires of the 4, phasing must be correct.

My PCB says "2 x 18v" but if you look closely you'll see on the PCB that 2 of those connections are joined on the PCB. This is where the centre tap of a 3 wire transformer would be connected.

Peter

For background info Mr Burnleys transformer diagram always needs a mention
Print it off and study it - it really makes things a hell of a lot simpler
And things will get simpler trust me (I was where you are two years ago - I know just a little extra nowadays - hang around and do a lot of searching - there is a stakc of info here)

http://www.diyfactory.com/data/transformer_connections.gif

Back