how are capsules from studio projects c1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seavote

i know the mics get good reveiws. maybe not as good as claimed but they have their uses. i can get a c1 capsule for $35 us . and since the mics get good reveiws i assume the capsule must be decent. i'm planning on g7, royer mod and dorsey mod for mxl2001. i'm thinking i'll use peluso capsule for royer and g7 and the left over mxl capsule for the dorsey mod. but for this price im thinking i'll find a use for the c1 capsule. is the capsule really that bad that its only worth $35? does anyone know who makes the capsule? thx

Well, SP sells finished mics for $89.00, so $35.00 for a capsule is not that low. I remenber from the old website and old model descriptions that the B range used gold capsules, and the C range aluminum capsules, but with the new models and the new website, it doen´t mention such a difference...

I would be interested in buying a few myself, if you can share your source.

I have both the B1 and the C1, both use gold capsules. They are actually fairly nice but have a hyped high end, still not as bad as other cheapo mics by far.

I'm curious as to where you can get a c1 for 99 bucks.
I'm even more curious as to where you're getting those capsules for 35.00

Nobody said you can get a C1 for $99... Someone did say that you can get an SP mic for $89, =presumably the B1. -I have a pair of B1's, so I at least know what they're like...

Last night I A/B/C tested a B1 against a U87 that I had in for repair and my U67. You know, the capsules are basically copies of a cardioid-only U87 capsule, the mount is the biggest difference.

There's not a $1500 difference between the U87 and the B1. There's certainly not a $4000 difference between the U67 and the B1. however, they're all quite sizzly, up-close and on-axis. The Soundfield ST250 is a lot more neutral head-on.

I'd like to play with a $35 capsule, since I have a B1 to compare it to and more directly compare what differences the electronics are making. I think that he's suggesting that the $35 capsule is a one-time, one-only deal, in which case I'd be interested in it, but obviously only if he doesnt buy it.

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"] -I have a pair of B1's, so I at least know what they're like...

Last night I A/B/C tested a B1 against a U87 that I had in for repair and my U67. You know, the capsules are basically copies of a cardioid-only U87 capsule, the mount is the biggest difference.

There's not a $1500 difference between the U87 and the B1. There's certainly not a $4000 difference between the U67 and the B1. however, they're all quite sizzly, up-close and on-axis. The Soundfield ST250 is a lot more neutral head-on.[/quote]
I'm not familiar with LDC-mics yet so was thinking about one of these SP mics (probably the multipattern B3) to get me a decent entry into the LDC-world. So I was curious to what you mean with up-close & on-axis. I could make up meanings myself but I'm not shure those be the correct interpretations :wink:

And did anyone happen to compare the B1 & B3 @ card-setting ?

Thanks (& please excuse the somewhat OT-question),

Peter

The C1 uses 34mm 797 capsules. IMO, these are much better Chinese ones than Shanghai 32mm, used in MXL, etc.
There were a few threads here discussing all these capsules in depth.

Studio Projects claims the C1 capsule is 27mm and is 6um thick. the B1 is 1" and is 3um thick.

the new B1s have pads and low cut filters, I have the old ones which don't. Circuit is ok but nothing new nor anything to rave about. I didn't do much modification to mine, someone should try a different circuit on them to see how they sound..

[quote author="clintrubber"]I was curious to what you mean with up-close & on-axis. I could make up meanings myself but I'm not shure those be the correct interpretations :wink:[/quote]
i mean up close (like10cm and closer) and on-axis = directly in front...

Basically, if you hold the mic in front and "turn" the mic and listen to the change in high frequency response to a constant "Shhhhhhh" sound that you make, you'll hear that it not only gets louder at the front, it also gets VERY much brighter. -Off axis slightly is pretty neutral, but if you mike up a section of 5 trombones, you'll notice that the middle one is brighter than the buys either side of him...

-But as I said, most of these mics have similar characteristics...

Oh, and the B3 is a good mic for middle/side use as the side mic in figure-8 position.

Keith

[quote author="Svart"]Studio Projects claims the C1 capsule is 27mm and is 6um thick. [/quote]

Correct. The diaphragm itself is indeed 27mm. The overall diameter is 34mm.

[quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="clintrubber"]I was curious to what you mean with up-close & on-axis. I could make up meanings myself but I'm not shure those be the correct interpretations :wink:[/quote]
i mean up close (like10cm and closer) and on-axis = directly in front...

Basically, if you hold the mic in front and "turn" the mic and listen to the change in high frequency response to a constant "Shhhhhhh" sound that you make, you'll hear that it not only gets louder at the front, it also gets VERY much brighter. -Off axis slightly is pretty neutral, but if you mike up a section of 5 trombones, you'll notice that the middle one is brighter than the buys either side of him...[/quote]
Thanks Keith for the added info :thumb:
All clear now.

-But as I said, most of these mics have similar characteristics...
FWIW I'll have a look at the polar patterns. Can image using an omni-pattern won't solve this, right ? (Omni where possible - no noise from the back and of uh, a LDC with a dual diaphragm so not the B1)

Oh, and the B3 is a good mic for middle/side use as the side mic in figure-8 position.
Right, exactly what I had in mind when looking at the B3 i.s.o. the B1. Since it's the Netherlands here and we like good deals and 3-for-1 stuff :wink:
I've used the Thomann ribbon-mic for fig8 but am curious how a LDC would do there.

Thanks,

Peter

A TRUE omni will be less susceptible to some side effects, but the Von Braunmuhl/Weber "back-to-back" dual LDC design is not a TRUE pressure omni, so switching to omni doesn't cure this effect, instead you now get dual "hot-spot" points, one to the front and one to the rear.

Not to say that they're bad: a U67 and a U87 both do the same thing!

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]A TRUE omni will be less susceptible to some side effects, but the Von Braunmuhl/Weber "back-to-back" dual LDC design is not a TRUE pressure omni, so switching to omni doesn't cure this effect, instead you now get dual "hot-spot" points, one to the front and one to the rear.

Keith[/quote]
Another thank you Keith for the added info. FWIW I had a look at the B3-plots
http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/pdf/b3.pdf and the omni seemed to be less directional than the card (it should of course) up to a few kHz; after that it went down as well w.r.t. off-axis response. But if the noises from the back are not objectionable, based on the pattern-plots one could say switching to omni could help somewhat. But then there's that second hot-spot you mentioned. OK, no free lunch &
so much for specs'n'plots of course; observations like your real-life experiences say a lot more.

Not to say that they're bad: a U67 and a U87 both do the same thing!
Ah, good cloning :wink:

Regards,

Peter

My source for the c1 capsules is studio projects themselves. being unsure how they felt about selling their capsules i gave them the serial # from my c1 mic and told them i needed a replacement. since then i've inquired about capsules for diyers. here is the reply:
"The capsules that we keep on hand are used for repairs on occasion we havepeople who would like to get caps to play around with and while we have noproblem we this we just don't have enough stock for groups of people. It maybe something that we can work out but it would take 6 weeks or more after we get confirmation of the number of people who want caps, what caps they wantand a 50% deposit is made for all caps ordered. "
sounds like a group order could be arranged . i've seen them on the board but dont really know how they are worked out. nor am i voluteering to organize one. if someone is interested pm me and i'll give you the name ,e-mail and phone of the person i corresponded with. or you can try it on an individual basis and see how studio projects works it out?

I think a group buy would be nice. I don´t think $35.00 is a bad price, and it may go down with a group buy... Sounds like fun!

I hope that everyone here realises that the C1 is a single-sided, fixed-pattern, cardioid-only capsule...

If you build a G7 with it, you should modify/trim the design and take out the pattern-related stuff....

Keith

Latest posts

Back