CK12 Capsule Questions (for new DIY build & mod of WA251)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuicideSquid

Hi all,

I've got one project on the go - a full rebuild of an Apex 460B tube microphone - and another under consideration (some modifications to a Warm Audio WA-251).

I'm looking for a quality capsule to put in the Apex mod, and also curious about the possibility of upgrading the WA-251.

I've bought capsules from Microphone Parts before and been satisfied with the quality and with Matt McGlynn's service and responsiveness to questions, so I'm certainly open to buying a micparts capsule or two again, but am curious about other options - I am willing to spend a bit more if it means getting something that is meaningfully better.

In a similar price range to the Microphone Parts capsules there's a Mic & Mod CK12 capsule, as well as a CK12-style capsule sold by Tab Funkenwerk

On the higher end, I've read through a couple of threads on C12 mics and capsules and gather that Tim Campbell makes pretty much the closest replication of the original CK12 (the "CT12"), but I also gather he's swamped and not taking orders at the moment. The Beesneez CK12 capsule is a similar price - about $400 USD.

If I'm going to stay in the $100-$200 range, I'll likely stick with Microphone Parts as I've bought from them and have been satisfied with their products, unless someone can emphatically tell me the M&M or TF capsule is significantly better.

Does anyone out there have experience with one of these mid-range C12-style capsules, and the Beesneez CK12 capsule? Is there a difference in quality significant enough to justify more than doubling the purchase price? And are there other mid-range or high-end options (topping out at $500, I'm not made of money...) that I've overlooked? I know there are a million cheap CK12-style capsules floating around but I'd like to go with something with a little more consistency and quality control.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Hi all,

I've got one project on the go - a full rebuild of an Apex 460B tube microphone - and another under consideration (some modifications to a Warm Audio WA-251).

I'm looking for a quality capsule to put in the Apex mod, and also curious about the possibility of upgrading the WA-251.

I've bought capsules from Microphone Parts before and been satisfied with the quality and with Matt McGlynn's service and responsiveness to questions, so I'm certainly open to buying a micparts capsule or two again, but am curious about other options - I am willing to spend a bit more if it means getting something that is meaningfully better.

In a similar price range to the Microphone Parts capsules there's a Mic & Mod CK12 capsule, as well as a CK12-style capsule sold by Tab Funkenwerk

On the higher end, I've read through a couple of threads on C12 mics and capsules and gather that Tim Campbell makes pretty much the closest replication of the original CK12 (the "CT12"), but I also gather he's swamped and not taking orders at the moment. The Beesneez CK12 capsule is a similar price - about $400 USD.

If I'm going to stay in the $100-$200 range, I'll likely stick with Microphone Parts as I've bought from them and have been satisfied with their products, unless someone can emphatically tell me the M&M or TF capsule is significantly better.

Does anyone out there have experience with one of these mid-range C12-style capsules, and the Beesneez CK12 capsule? Is there a difference in quality significant enough to justify more than doubling the purchase price? And are there other mid-range or high-end options (topping out at $500, I'm not made of money...) that I've overlooked? I know there are a million cheap CK12-style capsules floating around but I'd like to go with something with a little more consistency and quality control.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
There's ton of info on these all over the forum, including the recently started ones. Use search. None of the mentioned besides Beesneez have anything to do with CK12 including the MP one. They just look similar. There's no free lunch with CK12, according to recent threads Beesneez is currently best bet, and the only one readily available. All the "budget" one's are just rebranded 30$ capsules you can find on Aliexpress. WA has already "best" version of this type quazi CK12, so no point upgrading it unless you go for the real thing.

There's ton of info on these all over the forum, including the recently started ones. Use search. None of the mentioned besides Beesneez have anything to do with CK12 including the MP one. They just look similar. There's no free lunch with CK12, according to recent threads Beesneez is currently best bet, and the only one readily available. All the "budget" one's are just rebranded 30$ capsules you can find on Aliexpress. WA has already "best" version of this type quazi CK12, so no point upgrading it unless you go for the real thing.
I did use the search, the first half-dozen results were eihter people talking about / with Tim Campbell (not relevant since his aren't available at the moment) or arguing about cheap Chinese capsules so the feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you!

I did use the search, the first half-dozen results were eihter people talking about / with Tim Campbell (not relevant since his aren't available at the moment) or arguing about cheap Chinese capsules so the feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you!
- Well the point is there are real CK12
https://groupdiy.com/threads/another-ck12-thread-whats-available-in-2023.85035/
- There are 30$ chinese capsules, nothing wrong with these just not CK12, and sound nothing alike.

- There are rebranded Chinese ones sold by MP, Maiku and others hiding behind various marketing plots and fake QC claims

- And high quality Chinese capsules which are really quality checked under high manufacturing standards - 3U Audio (one of which you have in the WA), 797 Audio (Slate ML-1 is good example) and Australian manufactured Røde capsules which are of the same construction.

There's been talk 3U audio should come out with their true CK12, so if you are not in hurry...

There's been talk 3U audio should come out with their true CK12, so if you are not in hurry...
I am not. I'd like to have something together when I start recording my band's next album, but that's likely six months off. I can certainly be patient and see what 3U comes out with, and/or see if I can get in Tim Campbell's queue.

I would leave the WA-251 capsule alone, it sounds pretty good already that mic, you might spend $400 and then not even feel you like the new sound better.

As for the Apex 460B, do you really need a CK12 type capsule for this mic?
If you could use a K87 or K47 capsule in that mic, you have great options from Arienne:
https://www.arienneaudio.com/
Also 3U audio makes great capsules

Last edited:
Back