Best affordable edge terminated (including AKG) capsules?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

Starting a thread for discussing affordable edge terminated capsules from China, and CK12s including AKG replacement parts if they're still available. Let's define affordable as $250 so that we can include AKG replacement parts.

I'm thinking of putting one of the C414 replacement capsules in my 5 pattern Shuaiyin C414 style mic. It's transformerless, and stock it has a really bad sounding K67 (among the worst mics I've used). I don't know which to look at, as I find the B-ULS capsule a bit darker than I'd like, but I find the XLS and XLII to sound a bit tinny or metallic. Also looking at 797 and Takstar's double sided edge terminated capsules.

When the Chinese CK12s (proper chambered designs, not edge terminated K67s) are out and seem to be reliable I'll take a look at them.

Last edited:
I have some experience with capsules in this category. Of course your results may vary, but I can easily say the AKG C12 VR/XLII capsule is my favorite. It has the accuracy, depth and detail that the rest in this price range I’ve tried don’t have.

I have a C414 XLII plus a VR capsule in a Barbaric BA-49. Very different circuits, but in both situations they’re still better than alternatives I’ve tried in this category. With the BA, the tube, transformer, and lower polarization resulted in a rolled off high end and added a little color/weight/mojo compared to the XLII.

I feel like there’s sort of a tie for second best between the 3U MKIV and B-ULS/XLS capsules. Both are good and very similar sounding. Pretty awesome that Guosheng’s tuning on the K67 edge terminated style capsules can sound similar to the B-ULS/XLS type design.

Lastly, I’ve only tried the RK-12s that came with the group buy conducted here several years ago. I know there are others, but I imagine 3U is still a step up from them.

The catch with edge terminated k67 vs proper ck12 is that off axis sound will be totally different even though from the front at close distance they might sound identical. The difference might become obvious when you start eq-ing or compressing.

So if you use it in a vocal booth for say vocals they could theoretically sound indistinguishable. But if you go for recording at distance, or overheads, record in acoustically rich environment they will sound nothing alike.

Also some ck12 can be very scooped with insanely large low end. I haven't come across edge terminated one that can pull this off. I have tried to tune them myself without luck. If i want to achieve this i use filter within the mic to get closer, but the off axis issue remains.

Last edited:
The catch with edge terminated k67 vs proper ck12 is that off axis sound will be totally different even though from the front at close distance they might sound identical. The difference might become obvious when you start eq-ing or compressing.

So if you use it in a vocal booth for say vocals they could theoretically sound indistinguishable. But if you go for recording at distance, or overheads, record in acoustically rich environment they will sound nothing alike.

Also some ck12 can be very scooped with insanely large low end. I haven't come across edge terminated one that can pull this off. I have tried to tune them myself without luck. If i want to achieve this i use filter within the mic to get closer, but the off axis issue remains.
I'm thinking about waiting for a good cheap CK12 for that reason. I
The Shuaiyin mic is just unusable IMO with the stock capsule. The replacement AKG capsules are sort of a middle ground, they're only around $200 so I don't mind putting one in a cheap mic, but I'd put the proper chambered CK12s in my CAD M179s before the Shuaiyin 414 copy. I know the CADs are good mics. Hard to say anything about the Shuaiyin because the stock capsule is so bad (it manages to sound muddy and harsh too me all at once), I'm pretty sure most of the noise is from that.

Last edited:

Have you tested the off axis response of any of the teflon capsules?

The Shuaiyin mic is just unusable IMO with the stock capsule. The replacement AKG capsules are sort of a middle ground,
Man!!! @Icantthinkofaname
Sorry to hear that. Two things to consider with those mics. Heavy body AND grill resonance. Lacking circuit/parts in their transformer less application.

I managed to get good results with K67 & fake C12 (K67 edge terminated)
Post or PM audio files comparing it to your CAD mic. I suspect there’s more.

M

I have some experience with capsules in this category. Of course your results may vary, but I can easily say the AKG C12 VR/XLII capsule is my favorite. It has the accuracy, depth and detail that the rest in this price range I’ve tried don’t have.
both situations they’re still better than alternatives I’ve tried in this category. With the BA, the tube, transformer, and lower polarization resulted in a rolled off high end and added a little color/weight/mojo compared to the XLII.
I think I might go with the TLII capsule, the mic I plan to put it into is transformerless though, I don't know how much that will affect it, hopefully it doesn't sound like the new AKG stuff. There's something about them I don't like, they sound kind of thin to my ears, the XLS isn't as bad, but I'd pick the TLII over it.
Man!!! @Icantthinkofaname
Sorry to hear that. Two things to consider with those mics. Heavy body AND grill resonance. Lacking circuit/parts in their transformer less application.

I managed to get good results with K67 & fake C12 (K67 edge terminated)
Post or PM audio files comparing it to your CAD mic. I suspect there’s more.

M
Those are definitely coming now that I've got good internet at my new place (there are some renovations going on next door so it might be a couple days). I'm filling my closet full of clothes and rugs and stuff to use it as a temporary recording space. Eventually I'll turn the second bedroom into a studio if nobody I know wants to rent it (afraid of renting to strangers in case they have sticky fingers, my gear is insured but still don't want to risk my out-of-production stuff).

I expected the capsule to be crap out of the box anyway, I was hoping for but not expecting at least something like the RK-12 because that would give a very usable mic.

Last edited:
Back