A fender super reverb MOD that concerns me

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes, amp is sounding great although my attempts to bias it we're a little less than I expected. On the Power tubes I strapped a 1 ohm resistor from power tube ground to chazssis. Highest reading I could get of the grounds was 28 mv. I was pretty sure it should be around 35 but cant go there. I am assuming either my multimeter is a POS. The wire wound resistors we're 10% tolerant at 10 watts/ (all that the shack had) so they might have been suckin. Or I don't know what the F Im doing and should let a pro handle it? I figured if it was the DMM I should not pin the pot to the CW. Left it somewhere in the middle as I assumed my readings we're Bullshit.

I was thinking though that as long as the amp sounds good and is operating within spec it would'nt matter to much. Tubes are not as hot as they we're before so I thought it would be a temporary fix.

So another fine piece of audio gear has been resurected through the group DIY. Thanks so much guys. There arent to many places I can bring a great amp to get fixed here in Cleveland.

Will

That depends. What is the B+ voltage? If the supply is high, like 490v, too low a bias can raise the B+ up a little. That's not good if the filter caps are rated at 500v. Double check the B+. You may need to change a resistor on the bias supply to get the pot in range. Also 10watt wirewound? 1Watt should be enough. If you don't want to do all that, just crank up the amp and wail on it for 5-10 minutes. watch the power tubes as you do this, if one or both start to glow in the center that's the tube burning up, lower the bias.

Right on man,

Yeah I knew the wirewound 10 watter was a waste. Looked like a ballast resistor from my scout, it was ugly.

Anyways Ill double check that B+ Voltage, I like your 2nd option of wail-n-bias.

W

Back