Any ideas for an 4mm-to-6mm spindle adaptor?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
The standard 4-to-6mm knob adapter has an opening in one side, where you can have the holding screw going past the insert and into the 4mm-axle. This works for most but the highest-torque rotary switches.

An alternative is to find some copper or aluminum tube at 4/6mm, and cut it into small lengths.

Jakob E.

4mm to 6mm adapters are quite common.
(In Germany: Conrad, Reichelt, etc.)

But ...
... does anybody know how to adapt 6mm pots to 6.35mm (1/4 ") knobs ? I have done this occasionally with some copper foil or duct tape, but the results were less than satisfactory.

JH.

But ...
... does anybody know how to adapt 6mm pots to 6.35mm (1/4 ") knobs ? I have done this occasionally with some copper foil or duct tape, but the results were less than satisfactory.

Good question. I have the same problem. I have a big pile of really nice looking knobs (tubetech style) but they are 1/4". If you find a solution let me know.

/Anders

Anders! Since your name is Swedish I guess you speak swedish too? If not switch to Finnish.
I've bought the brass tube from www.clasohlson.se part no:21-995-6
They also have 3mm, 4mm & 6mm steel shafts!

Hej TK!

I used to be ljudfinnen in the other forum so I think you know me. I still owe you a beer for the help with the 1290.

/Anders

My question was about using 1/4 inch knobs with 6 mm pots. I don`t think a brass tube will help.

/Anders

Sometimes there are solutions where you don't expect them.
When I built the JH-720, I had a mix of 6mm and 1/4" potentiometers and switches, and I wanted use REAN collet knobs, which I bought from Maplin in England. The problem was that maplin offered certain knob diameters in 6mm, and other diameters in 1/4" only, and I wanted a mix of 3 different knob diameters, too. (See http://home.debitel.net/user/jhaible/jh_720.html) After some cursing and asking myself why a distributor would make such a strange choice, offereing the same brand of knobs with different diameters, but some with 6mm and some with 1/4" mounting exclusively, I found that I could swap the collet chucks between the knobs. They even had slightly different coloured metal, so it was easy to distinguish them from each other.

But well, that's just one brand of collet knobs, and not a general solution for the 6.35mm -> 6mm problem.

JH.

[quote author="Viitalahde"][quote author="jhaible"]I found that I could swap the collet chucks between the knobs[/quote]

Did it go off easily? In some big knobs I have, the grub screw was, er, screwed :? and was completly flat from its end. I tried to pull the chuck out to remove the screw but it was very tight.

That probably depends on the knob, but very worth trying out. I think I've even seen a series of knobs where you could buy every part (chucks, knobs, wings, pointers) in separate and compose whatever you wanted out of these.[/quote]

On these REAN knobs, it goes off easily. It litterally falls apart when you loosen the collet screw all the way.
That's a big plus of these knobs (May be just REAN, or may be collet knobs in general - haven't tried it on ELMAs or SIFAMs.)
The downside is that they have this modern soft touch look, which I'm not particularly fond of.

JH.

[quote author="Tekay"]Sorry! didn't see that!

Try some metal tape or glue a thin metalfoil on the opposit side of the knob screw![/quote]

Doesn't really work. The problem is that you want a tight fit all around the shaft; otherwise the knob will always sit there in an odd position and move in an excentric way.

You _can_ use tape or foil if you want to adapt a single knob, and have a lot of time for a fiddly job. It's a compromise solution. Nothing I would want to do more than occasionally.

JH.

Latest posts

Back