Has anybody here cloned a complete 1073? [stupid ?]

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

has anybody here
cloned a complete 1073?

"the Neve 1073 consists of 5 separate PCB's (2 amplifiers, 3 EQ) within the module"

I've searched and seen builds based on the 1272, but hardly any builds towards the 1073. [unless im just not soaking up enough yet,which means i DO need to read a LOT more]

The 3 gain stages.

Is "that" what the JLM Hot Rod mods and such are?
turning the 1272 into a 1073?

the 1290 is the 1073 pre-amp without the Eq correct?

so ......

Maybe im missing something?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

another question can 'anybody' order from carnhill? [from the u.k. to the u.s.] multiple transformers of different makes?
or is it better to attempt to organize an group order?

not like im in a rush or anything, I plan to order the iron for all the projects I want to under-take at once.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

plan on:
(1 chan) 1081 clone
(1 chan) 1073 [complete retro clone w/ EQ]
(2 chans) 1272 / 1290 w/ hot rod mod

type
1073 pcb
into the search and display as threads..
quite a few hits on the first page - including a set of pdfs..

hello,
happy DIY year :green:
i'm trying to make a clone of a 1073 (only mic and line preamp)
i' m collecting infos for ba283am pcb. i can do a ba283av but i ve not the separate ba283am and av.
There is a thing that i don t understand :
1073 pre amp is made with a ba283av+ba283am , if i look the jlm 1290 there is only a ba283av +mods but no ba283am ...
can we say that jlm1290 operate as the original 1073 preamp ?

Hi,

I'm bulding some preamps based on same cirtcuit as the Neve 1073. My preamp is however not an exact clone of the 1073 since I'm using 1 PCB instead of 5 as in the original. Here are a few pictures ...

Neriks,

Your pcb looks great :thumb:
Have you already tested your protoytpe?
How does it sound ?
Will you make this pcb available ?

I'll follow this thread with interest, because the work you've made looks really good and I'm very interested in this NEVE stuff for a long time.

[quote author="neriks"]Hi, I'm bulding some preamps based on same cirtcuit as the Neve 1073.Here are a few pictures ...[/quote]

Whow, those are impressive! :thumb: :thumb:

Michael

flaheu,

The prototype has been tested and verified. I've compared the sound of the prototype to an original 1073 and the prototype certainly had a similar type of sound :grin:

I'm currently working on the final version of the preamp but the work is unfortunately proceeding rather slowly :wink:

[quote author="flaheu"]Will you make this pcb available ?[/quote]
I have sold a few PCB’s to people who currently are testing the PCB along with the building instructions of the preamp. If the latest version of the PCB is working I can probably provide PCB’s and building instructions for those who are interested in building it.

[quote author="tony dB"]great looking!

Let the "me too, me too" begin :wink:[/quote]
uuuuh

Me too, me too!!!

:green:

Cheers

Nick

I am just wondering if you provide things like transformer and especially inductors with the pcb's. I think it won't be easy to build those with only the pcb's as Carnhill isn't exactly known for dealing with small quantities.

Flo

Neriks, it seems you skipped all the tantalum caps on your version. Any reason you did this ? I remember reading that using tantalum caps is also a part of the neve sound. I am not saying that this is bad, just an observation i made while looking at your (very good looking) boards.
Personally i feel that when making a clone of something i think it's best to go as original as possible.

Flo

[quote author="Infernal_Death"]I am just wondering if you provide things like transformer and especially inductors with the pcb's.[/quote]
I'm aware of the difficulties to build the preamp with regards to the Carnhill inductors. Despite this I simply don't have the ability to offer the transformers and inductors needed ...

[quote author="Infernal_Death"]Neriks, it seems you skipped all the tantalum caps on your version. Any reason you did this ? [/quote]
When I built the prototype I used what I had in my lab to keep the cost of the prototype down to a minimum. When I compared the prototype with an original 1073 there weren't much of a difference in sound so I decided to stick with the same type of capacitors that was used in the prototype. Since the PCB design doesn't prevent tantalums from be used I will probably build a few of my preamps with tantalums just for the sake of curiosity :wink:

Latest posts

Back