lynx studio Aurora converters info needed?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="radiance"]no prob...no hurry. Just curious if it's possible to convert an 110V unit to an 220V unit without much hassle...[/quote]

Yes it is... the input transformer has multiple windings for 115 and 230V operation. They plug onto the PCB via moulex connectors so you should be able to work out the wiring colour coded and test it before connecting it to the power supply.

Matt

Here's the review from CA: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1521198

Justin

Thanks Justin.

Looking at this pic of the power transformer ....does it have dual primaries?
Can't really see it clear...
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=220143&d=1170146654

Looking at this pic of the power transformer ....does it have dual primaries?

Having doubts on my posts :?

I opened up my Aurora 16 to check for you... and it does indeed have multiple primaries. Even if it didn't you could still use a 110V voltage converter. I've wire done into my studio and use it for alot of my gear is is 110VAC.... but it IS possible to wire for 230V and 115VAC using the transformer... at least on my Aurora 16.

Matt

So I opened my Aurora and took out the transformer. It's got dual primaries (0--100V-120V) wired in parallel. The 100V tabs are not connected to the input.
The secondarys are 12.7V-0-12.7V and 0-----7.8V.

Just to be sure (I'd really hate to burn my Aurora): Will it suffice to simply cut out one 0V and one 120V primary and connect the two so the input is wired in series to make it work for 230V power?

Thanks alot!
Gregor

So I want to convert my Aurora from 110v to 220v operation.  You say to connect the inner black and white wires, so I snip them so that they do not go to the molex(?) connector?  So there will just be tails hanging from the connector that attach to nothing?  Sorry to be dim, just wanna make sure I get it right!
David

devs1980 said:
So I want to convert my Aurora from 110v to 220v operation.  You say to connect the inner black and white wires, so I snip them so that they do not go to the molex(?) connector?  So there will just be tails hanging from the connector that attach to nothing?  Sorry to be dim, just wanna make sure I get it right!
David

No, connect them, so the primaries are changed from parallel to serial (as far as I remember).

I've got an Aurora 16 with the Protools HD card and a 96 IO. The Lynx sounds awesome. Compared to the Digidesign, the sound is clearer, has better definition. And it can works as the master converter (I can launch PT w/out the 96 IO) and master clock. I bought it in the US and use a voltage converter for a 220V use.
I think it has an excellent price/quality ratio. Go for it !

living sounds said:
Works! Just connect the "inner" black and white cable on the trafo and you're done.

Hi

Did you find any kind of problem runing under 220V ??
I want to change my unit from 110V to 220V but I've read
at Harmony Central that could exist problems by changing
the voltage.

Thanx

La Casa Studio said:
living sounds said:
Works! Just connect the "inner" black and white cable on the trafo and you're done.

Hi

the voltage.

Thanx

Just "problems" ? Or anything specific? Maybe they meant to say that when plugging a 110V version into a 220V socket causes problems? (obviously)

TomWaterman said:
full Digi external delay compensation,

From what I've gathered, (besides Digidesign, of course) Lynx is the only converter company to have
tapped into the actual Digi code for proper delay compensation. I can't remember the technical process surrounding it,
but they (Lynx) apparently spent some serious R&D figuring that out.
I'd love to try them sometime.

My dream would be a nice rack of Lavry's or Prisimsound A-D-A's.

hi pucho, i own a aurora16 and use it with rme aes32 card cause the lynx card drivers aren´t as good as the rme ones...
the converter quality is absolute clean and real. You can master with aurora on highest level without being angry the material will suck away...
i recognized my rme8 is a little bit lower than the aurora on +4... it is connected via adat to the hammerfall hdsp card...
in comparsion if i trim the rme to the same level of the aurora, the aurora is more punchy and real sounding. the rme is a little bit more mudd and softer sounding...
but if you record... you can make good music with both... the differences are so decent... only if you using alot of outboard effects or doing mastering you should go for those good converters. The most converters you can get today are really good... i find myself liking the tascam fw1884 too...  ::) :) ;D

Pro (aurora16)
16 Mastering Quality AD/DAs for a very good price.

Con
None

If you own it you wound be disappointed anymore about converters... ;)

radiance said:
La Casa Studio said:
living sounds said:

Hi

the voltage.

Thanx

Just "problems" ? Or anything specific? Maybe they meant to say that when plugging a 110V version into a 220V socket causes problems? (obviously)

Yeah .. sorry .. I mean:
"The main reason we use a linear power supply in Aurora is to reduce the possibility of introducing additional noise typical of a switching power supply. Switching power supplies can generate lots of high frequency noise that can creep into sensitve analog circuitry and get through anti-aliasing filters in A/D converters. There are techniques for minimizing this, but we decided to play it safe with the big honkin' toroidal transformer. The downside is that a linear supply cannot be made "universal" and generates more heat."
[/i]

Bob Bauman
Lynx Co-founder, Chief Hardware Engineer

La Casa Studio said:
Yeah .. sorry .. I mean:
"The main reason we use a linear power supply in Aurora is to reduce the possibility of introducing additional noise typical of a switching power supply. Switching power supplies can generate lots of high frequency noise that can creep into sensitve analog circuitry and get through anti-aliasing filters in A/D converters. There are techniques for minimizing this, but we decided to play it safe with the big honkin' toroidal transformer. The downside is that a linear supply cannot be made "universal" and generates more heat."
[/i]

Bob Bauman
Lynx Co-founder, Chief Hardware Engineer

I don't see any problems mentioned. Sure, it's not a universal PSU but it DOES have dual primaries which allows it to be set up for either 110 or 220 volt.

Latest posts

Back