Wow it has been a while... NYD mixer finished though...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnspoony

Hey guys,

Something was up with my account for months where I couldn't log in... Finally got that sorted out. Anyway... Here's one of the things I finished a little while back and it looks like the project has died out a bit so I thought maybe this would help.

Photo42.jpg

Photo44.jpg

This thing is a complete rats nest on the inside. It was all done on vector board. No printed pcb's per channel or anything too fancy. I ripped my old soundcraft board apart for parts of a new beast... thanks to NYD yet again.

I have tommyjones's input trannies from a while back, Edcor out. My controls are "Channel ON/MUTE/send direct out" then "panning" for 1-8
channels 1-4 have sends to that pack of 12 knobs without faders which are
"pre/post fader" "aux L volume" and " aux R volume" These are then sum'd to the first pair of colored faders. Channels 1-8 are also sum'd to the final master pair of faders.

I built this for the sole purpose of being able to do drums out of the box and do a verb stem mix.. thus only 1-4 having aux sends. Overheads and two mics for snare is all that I'll usually verb. I'll also use it for stem mixes of extra compression.

So it all works and I'm happy. Thanks again NYD!

best,

Richie
[/img]

Scodiddly - I'm not sure why the photos are flipped. I was trying to figure that out myself. I'm using the camera built into my iMac, but I promise I didn't build it backwards.

Photos of the inside can come today... wiring it was really a nightmare. :cool:

Richie

That looks good, Richie. Is that based on the active line mixer idea I was kicking around in the Drawing Board a while back?

I actually started preparing some updates to the circuits but never got around to drafting/posting more than fragments of them. I believe I may have drafted a new, complete input channel schematic but that's at home and I can't check right now.

Yes, yes it is NYD. I had to play around with some of the values to get it to suit my needs via trial and error but I got it worked out and learned a lot in the process. Thanks again for the project Dave.

As promised here are some inside pics.

Photo46.jpg

Photo47.jpg

Photo48.jpg

Photo49.jpg

[quote author="capnspoony"]Scodiddly - I'm not sure why the photos are flipped. I was trying to figure that out myself. I'm using the camera built into my iMac, but I promise I didn't build it backwards.

Photos of the inside can come today... wiring it was really a nightmare. :cool:

Richie[/quote]

In Photobooth on your iMac you can select "automatically flip images" in one of the dropdown menus.

Nice work. A lovely mess. I was looking for something like this. The only thing, I want to put eqs in it. Much later. After I finish my two gssls and two other projects lined up. First thing is first. I don't want to be one of those with unfinished projects.

I actually want to make one of these:
http://musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/STEREOMIXER2006/STEREOMIXER2006.php
I don't know if it is similar to yours. But I want to figure out how to add EQs to each channel. But of course I must show control and finish other business.
Just curious.

Can anyone suggest a simple EQ?

I'll try harder when I get more experience.

[quote author="udenjoe"]
Can anyone suggest a simple EQ?[/quote]

What do you mean with "simple EQ"?

Active or passive? How many bands? Full parametric, half-parametric, graphic, only Lo and Hi Pass?

That's actually my next step as well. I'm on board for 4 pcbs of the night pro eq3d that kevin and peter have been working so hard on Those are active eq's and have fixed frequencies minus the vari "air" band...which makes them a little easier to understand and build. I have a lot more to learn before I just throw eq's into the chain of a mixer though.

What are the ratio of your input transformers ?
Ive been collecting transformers for a mixer project and Im alittle concerned about impedance . I have a pile of 600 ohm 1:1 xfrms and alot of the slidex faders :wink:

They are a slight step up. I can't remember exactly but they were from the tommyjones group buy. Lundahl 1:1.2 or something like that. Sounds like you have the right parts to get going. :thumb:

[quote author="capnspoony"]That's actually my next step as well. I'm on board for 4 pcbs of the night pro eq3d that kevin and peter have been working so hard on Those are active eq's and have fixed frequencies minus the vari "air" band...which makes them a little easier to understand and build. I have a lot more to learn before I just throw eq's into the chain of a mixer though.[/quote]

I was looking at that project too. I'll keep it in mind... for the future.
Why don't you look at a schematic to see where you put it in the chain? I believe behringer puts them in their manuals. Although not the best company, they do seem to take tips from everyone else.

Latest posts

Back