where can i get a 2/16 or 3/16 (deep) face plate for my pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

hey i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a better face plate. the face plate i have now is only 1/16 wide. it's 19in long and about 2 inches in height, but it's not very thick. i'd like to get something better that is at least 2/16 but i'd really like a 3/16 thick face plate. and also i'd like something that is made out of something stronger than aluminum. if anyone knows of a great place or a website where i can order what i'm looking for please let me know. i'm desperatley looking. thanks

If you wanted a complete rack case these guys are my bread and butter.

www.par-metal.com

The 10 series is an aluminum face but it's thick. I believe you can order just faces in steel or aluminum in the "create a size" section. Good luck.

If you just want stiffer: a 1/4" bent-back lip top and bottom will make thin aluminum really stiff.

Just making a plate thicker is an expensive way to make it stiffer. Look at the floors in your house. If you have wood floors, they "could" just use very thick wood. But even for house spans and loads, that takes a LOT of wood. Instead they stand wood on edge as "joists" and lay boards across the joists: get much more stiffness with less wood.

1/8" is about as thick as many pots and switches will fit into.

Any metal supply house will sell you as much 1/8" or 3/16" metal plate as you want. The problem is that that don't like to sell as little as you want: they sell truckloads, or at least a 4 foot square plate, not single small pieces. A rack-face isn't enough metal-cost to cover their time to write the order. If you are lucky, they set their cutting fee high enough so they don't mind (can profit on) a little piece.

Steel is slightly stiffer than aluminum, but not a whole lot. When you consider the work needed to drill steel, aluminum is a much better plan. 1/8" steel is much cheaper in bulk than aluminum, but a real pain to cut and drill. In steel you always go thin, and bend lips to stiffen the edges. In aluminum you can drill 1/8" fairly easily, though if you need it STIFF you need to brace the middle.

thanks for replying. i'm always interested in finding different places for my needs.
so far i have found some great places for finding knobs and rocker switches. if you guys have found some other places that offer rockers or knobs or face plates.... please let me know.

wow :shock: 3/16? that's THICK for something like a front panel.. 1/8 i can see though. Most places that sell blank rack panels have 1/8 panels. 1/16 is really thin for a panel, was that just a peice of flat bar? Must've been since 2" is not a standard rack size. are you in the USA?

Back