Component Replacement in Vintage Synth Repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure you had the ground connection side of your meter in the right place? I can't see a -ve regulator performing that kind of stunt...

[quote author="Steve Jones"]Are you sure you had the ground connection side of your meter in the right place? I can't see a -ve regulator performing that kind of stunt...[/quote]

Neither can I! That's why I stopped and checked continuity with Ground about 3 times...my eyes didn't believe it... I hooked my GND clip to one of the main filter caps' 0v lugs, i.e. what is in effect the CT.

I have had an issue with erratic readings on my DVM lately, but not several times in succession... Makes no sense to me... :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

J

Ok... I now feel somewhat embarrassed... :oops:

T'was a malfunctioning DVM... Guess where my DVM is made? I find that pretty much everything I've bought that's made in that country tends to fail after about 24 months - I call it the '2-year rule'. My Wacom tablet's 2 years old - it's beginning to get buggy and needs a new cable. My fax machine went after 13 months - a month after guarantee expired.

I have Japanese-made consumer electronics that are going strong after 30 years with virtually no maintenance... What kind of progress is this? The battery indicator on DVM says it's fine btw.

90v... -15v... That's one heck of a calibration issue...

I should add that the Prophet is now the same as before - it lights up, but nothing's going on. The PSU has had all its caps, Vregs and rectifier diodes replaced (total cost wasn't much more than £5, so I went for the idiot approach of the scattergun).

Justin

[quote author="thermionic"]T'was a malfunctioning DVM... Guess where my DVM is made? I find that pretty much everything I've bought that's made in that country tends to fail after about 24 months - I call it the '2-year rule'. My Wacom tablet's 2 years old - it's beginning to get buggy and needs a new cable. My fax machine went after 13 months - a month after guarantee expired.
Justin[/quote]

Supposedly everybody likes the lower initial investment. And the price of higher quality is supposedly cause for rejection. But I truly wonder if the much-vaunted market research etc. reflects reality. I'd pay twice or three times more for something that is reliable.

I have a Fluke 8062A DMM that has been performing well for at least 15 years now and still seems to be within calibration. And a really old Dana DVM with nixie tubes, reconditioned by Tucker, has twice required a little repair, but aside from corroding contacts on switches that have to be worked a bit from time to time, still works quite beautifully.

I couldn't agree more about paying more for less hassle. I have to take back what I said though: the DVM is made in Taiwan... It has a 3-yr guarantee, so it'll be going back to the OEM (it's a Meterman 38XR btw, supposedly made by Fluke...).

An equivalent Fluke would cost around 3-times as much, and the Meterman is supposedly made by Fluke (it's part of Fluke's empire).

You live and you learn... I jumped to the wrong conclusion, as I've seen catastrophic damage due to Vreg's going out of regulation before, so I feared the worst...

J

btw - I was using my Nixie-tubed frequency counter yesterday. It's well over 30 years old, but is still calibrated within 10 Hertz when measuring 260 K - not bad!

Latest posts

Back