XLR insert - "pinout"?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean an "Y" cable, like with unbalanced tele jack insert cables?
The most logical to me would be that pin2 is send, pin3 return, and pin1 earth. But dont shoot me if im wrong.
/J

No nitpicking intended, but if you use an XLR you might be using twisted pair cable as well. When used for send & return that will result in some capacitance between incoming & outgoing signal. No problem at all for most cases I expect, but if you're for instance patching in some distortion/hi-gain device it might show up.

[quote author="Roger Gustavsson"]Sometimes pin 2 and 3 are the other way around. American and European equipment can be differently wired.[/quote]
IIRIC some older Japanese stuff had it swapped as well. Got at least some older Roland gear that had it swapped. FWIW...

And IIRIC#2 some brands wire a TRS-insert differently as well. Never hurts to check.

Can you provide further explanation of 'XLR insert connector' ?
What make of mixer do you have that uses this?
The reason that I am asking is that I have never come across this format - and feel that something is being possibly inaccurately described.

I expect that he means TRS jack surely:

TIP = SEND (out from mixer)
RING = RETURN (input back to mixer)
SLEEVE = COMMON

This is the 'normal' standard used on most mixers - but as always there are exceptions - Soundtracs reverse the above for instance!

Latest posts

Back