Optical compressor re-re-rehash again

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emorysmith

Anyone tried the panelescant <?> night lights from Home Depot?
I connected one to the plates of a Super Reverb phase inverter
and got lots of light out of it while playing. Used a dummy load, wasn't
concerned with it's effect on the sound and just wanted to see if a
well-known, easy-to build circuit would drive it. It did. Could probably be
better by making the plate R's equal and playing with the values, etc., etc.

Haven't made time/$$$ to do more with it (or about 10 other projects) yet.

Naturally, I threw away the package but will post the SKU here next time
I'm @ HD but they were in the electrical/lighting department <GASP!!>.

:?

> . Could probably be better by making the plate R's equal

Huh? Barking the wrong tree. No virtue here in push-pull; but the device has large capacitance and for good treble response wants a lower drive impedance than sereis 12AX7/12AT7.

Go to the Reverb driver, tack -across- the reverb transformer primary (not to ground; it may not like 300V DC).

Look at the LA-2a driver. I think it is a resistor instead of a transformer winding, but is is a single-ended low-Rp triode. The LA-2a plan is made for the job, but a Fender Reverb driver is close enough for trials.

Look at the LA-2a driver. I think it is a resistor instead of a transformer winding, but is is a single-ended low-Rp triode. The LA-2a plan is made for the job, but a Fender Reverb driver is close enough for trials.

Good point. I suspected the thing of high capacitance. It was a Q&D way to just see if it would light up. I suppose the LA-2a driver would work without modification. I doubt if there's much difference between the night light and what they used. Not much reason to change 'em. We had them in our house in the '60s. As night lights. What a waste! :wink:

Latest posts

Back