Sound Skulptor: Pre's, Compressors, Tape Simulator, Professionnal Audio Kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everybody.
I've finished the SK49 microphone build now.Jean-Pierre was so kind to send the kit super-fast so I was able to start building and let it burn-in.
All went very well and easy, given one keeps the workspace clean and handles the delicate parts like capsule and the high-impedance area with the caution they need.
Beware of the weight of the microphone, including the supplied shock mount it adds up to roughly 1,2 kilograms! It is a monster! Saying do not use cheap mic stands, use heavy studio types.The look is great btw.
I will have it in the studio next week or so.What I heard so far while quickly checking all functions in my workshop just with my own voice was great, and I'm excited to have it at better test conditions and recordings in the studio.
That's it for now, a big thank you to Jean-Pierre and his team for another awesome project!

I wish you all a happy new year (6 hrs to go here in germany),peace and tons of health,
best regards,
Udo.
Nice, I will build two of these as budget allows......Happy New Year to you as well.

Sound Skulptor MC624 - Studio Monitor Controller
The MC624 is similar to the monitor section of a mixing desk: it lets you select one out of six stereo audio sources, adjust the level and route it to one of four monitor outputs.

View attachment 119126

• 6 stereo sources : 2 XLR, 2 jacks, 1 RCA, 1 RCA/front mini-jack,
  • 4 stereo output or 3 output+sub: 2 XLR, 2 jacks,
  • Relay driven passive stepped level control, 64 x 1dB steps,
  • Function keys for Dim, Mute, Mute left/Mute right, Mono, left-right difference,
  • "Wire with gain" headphone amp with 2 gains,
  • Minimalistic audio path,
  • Fully differential throughout,
  • All switching done by relays,
  • Controllable by a TV remote, with a learning function,
Question about the surround option:
  • Expandable to surround by stacking several units,
How many would one stack for 7.1? Or even 7.1.4?
For 2.1 you only need 1 of course, so my guess is, for every extra pair of speakers there is 1 extra unit necessary, to be able to mix them all? If so, that adds up very quick...
Or is it possible to modify these units for surround?

I can't seem find any other analogue monitor controler for surround mixing in the DIY market.

• Easy build, dense but straightforward
  • Available assembled or as a full kit
Full details are available here: Sound Skulptor: MC624 Monitor Controller - Kit, Other studio devices, MC624

Question about the surround option:

How many would one stack for 7.1? Or even 7.1.4?
For 2.1 you only need 1 of course, so my guess is, for every extra pair of speakers there is 1 extra unit necessary, to be able to mix them all? If so, that adds up very quick...
Or is it possible to modify these units for surround?

I can't seem find any other analogue monitor controler for surround mixing in the DIY market.
I just finished building an MC624 for normal stereo monitoring, and it's a great kit with top notch parts and hardware, and it sounds fantastic. Highly recommended.

I just finished building an MC624 for normal stereo monitoring, and it's a great kit with top notch parts and hardware, and it sounds fantastic. Highly recommended.
Yes, I agree, I've built one and use it already for quite awhile. I want to see how I can expand my setup to get familiar with surround mixing for post.

I have 8 speakers (3x stereo, 1x mono and 1x sub). So I want to start with what I already have and get used to surround sound. Besides in the cinema's ;)

so my guess is, for every extra pair of speakers there is 1 extra unit necessary
Correct.
If so, that adds up very quick...
Quite true!

So I did some vocal testing in the studio.It was really wonderful.The sound is big, warm and full with a nice high end but never harsh.Fits on both female and male vocals.For some further testing I set it up in figure-of-eight for MS-recording with a U47 clone (Heiserman capsule) for the mid signal.It was the same awesome experience! I really like the "flat K47" from Arienne Audio, it sounds very versatile to me and I see it in a lot of scenarios (I mean that!)
I have ordered another kit this morning to get the full stereo experience.Will have it on instruments then, too (e.g. grand pianos),but maybe also on an orchestra.
I want to highly recommend this kit to everybody who is looking for a versatile, very good sounding ldc microphone that is easy to build and very affordable.

If I can do it you can do it.

Best regards,

Udo.

Second microphone done during the last weekend,burn-in until this morning.-I´m very happy! Ready to record some stereo stuff soon.
Thanks again to Jean-Pierre and his team for this wonderful project.

Best regards,

Udo.

Second microphone done during the last weekend,burn-in until this morning.-I´m very happy! Ready to record some stereo stuff soon.
Thanks again to Jean-Pierre and his team for this wonderful project.

Best regards,

Udo.
What is the burn-in procedure, and why must it be done?

What is the burn-in procedure
Letting a new build/manufactured equipment running with ON status, eventually with usual constrain it will get in normal operation.

and why must it be done
To spot initial failure rate (component issue ,or manufacturing error), and failure mode (if you need to know/anticipate things as a manufacturer)

After that the -failure VS time- curve is usually decreasing, and you get plenty of time before it increase again...hopefully

Latest posts

Back