1st time easy e.q to build ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drive

I would like to build a nice e.q but never have befor, a mono unit would be fine for a first I guess. I built a gssl and it turned out ok but I really have no idea how hard it would be to build an e.q.
So which one would be good for a first build ?

[quote author="drive"]whats it based on ? is there a list for it ?[/quote]

Start here (read it all as there are things you'll need to know if you decide to do the build):

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=19789&highlight=3deq

A search will reveal even more reading material.

I recently put one together. Here's a shot of the insides:

NightEQinside.jpg

Cheers,
--
Don

Yeah looks great !!!

what I would like is a E.Q mostly for tracking, do you think this one would be a good choice ?

[quote author="drive"]Yeah looks great !!!

what I would like is a E.Q mostly for tracking, do you think this one would be a good choice ?[/quote]

Hi drive,

I haven't tried the night EQ yet. (But I WILL ; mine is almost finished :green: )
I still don't know how it sounds but, to me, An EQ is an EQ ! :wink:
You can use it either for tracking or recording.
The only thing is what is recorded is recorded. That's why maybe people say that the more transparent EQ or COMP are better for tracking...

eD

Don  WOW!!
I thought mine looked nice.

night_back.jpg

Really love yours!! Puts mine to shame :thumb: The Wimas are real pretty as well!

:guinness:  :sam:  :guinness:

drive... give one of these a try. easy build and it sounds wonderful!!

GARY

[quote author="gar381"]Don WOW!!
I thought mine looked nice.

Really love yours!! Puts mine to shame :thumb: The Wimas are real pretty as well!

GARY[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Gary, yours looks pretty spectacular as well, and I don't think mine has anything on your build! It's obvious you paid a lot of attention to the detail of the build. Excellent work!

I think it's a fine EQ and am amazed by how clean and clear it is, even when doing some rather heavy adjustments. As with everyone who uses one, I, too, find the "air" band especially useful. Might have to build a box with just a few channels of the "air" band in it.

Cheers,
--
Don

[quote author="barclaycon"]What's that board you are using for the power supply ?[/quote]

Looks like we both used PeterC's power supply board but left the 48 phantom power unpopulated. Works like a champ!

Cheers,
--
Don

nite6.jpg

I think I have everyone beat on neatness :green: :green: :green: NOT!!!

Anyway, that is some serious attention given to the wiring on both of those units! This was such an easy build, just took a little time, as does everything else. When I fired mine up, everything was working from the start. I highly recommend this project to you. The EQ is extremely smooth and doesn't change volume when you cut or boost the frequencies like some EQ's. It really is a NICE tool for the studio, especially for EQing a stereo mix. I might even use mine once or twice to EQ the FOH mix at one of my gigs. :cool:

Adam

Back