DDA DMR12 PSU Build from scratch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markus R. Els

Hey good people of the forum,
I purchased an old DDA DMR12 console for a bargain a few months ago - it's in ok condition, though it definitely needs some TLC.

First order of business is I'm going to have to get a power supply built for it from scratch, since it didn't come with one. Not super convenient, but probably for the better as I heard the original PSUs for these were pretty terrible. The guy who sold me the console was in the process of sourcing parts to build a new PSU before he sold it, so the purchase came with a toroidal transformer - 600va (+/-18V and 55V).

I have the schematic for the console/PSU and I'm probably going to get a local pro audio electronics repair shop involved. Anyone here attempted to build a PSU for a medium/large format mixing console and is there any advice any of you would be so kind to offer?

Hello Markus,

Building a Power Supply from scratch is not the way I would recommend it to you.

I built a few customs PS for consoles, and always used some modules from Power One, Bel, International Power.... ( Search @ Mouser.com )
( I used two Condor F-24-12A that I trimmed to 18V for a Trident 80 )

Finding a chassis, doing the mechanical work in it, and wiring the modules is already such a pain...and time... !

Another solution is you find a power supply from another similar console and adapt it to you DDA.
I also did this solution, with some Soundcraft power supplies, that are well built.
In this case, think to recap / check it, as they are old now.
And replace the fan ! :)

I forgot : use only a Linear type !

Best,
Guy

Last edited:
Hello Markus,

Building a Power Supply from scratch is not the way I would recommend it to you.

I built a few customs PS for consoles, and always used some modules from Power One, Bel, International Power.... ( Search @ Mouser.com )
( I used two Condor F-24-12A that I trimmed to 18V for a Trident 80 )

Finding a chassis, doing the mechanical work in it, and wiring the modules is already such a pain...and time... !

Another solution is you find a power supply from another similar console and adapt it to you DDA.
I also did this solution, with some Soundcraft power supplies, that are well built.
In this case, think to recap / check it, as they are old now.
And replace the fan ! :)

I forgot : use only a Linear type !

Best,
Guy
Indeed a great idea. Amek used a bunch of International Power modules (mounted into Amek's own metal enclosures) for the 9098 and 9098i desks.

Bri

IMG_0132.JPGIMG_0133.JPGIMG_0134.JPG

Latest posts

Back