what is this PCB connector - straight pegs / posts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

ssl9kpreamp.jpg

I've seen these posts as connectors on some finished DIY builds here.
(the straight posts at the input and output holes)

What are they and how do you connect to them?
They're clearly different from the "molex" style connectors I'm familiar with - used elsewhere on this board.

Are they meant for direct soldering after racking? Or is there a socket or connector of some sort? Thanks.

I've used them in the past but they're definitely not my favourite - I'll use them if I've pressed for space or time. I believe you can get special crimp-on wire sockets that allow you to attach a removable wire to them, but I've never used the crimps myself.

I usually solder wire straight to them, but add heatshrink over the post/solder join for added mechanical strength. The wire has a habit of flexing at the top of the pin where the solder join stops and eventually it'll snap off through fatigue.

If the posts are spaced on 0.1" pitch you can fit a molex connector to them, but it's not a proper locking fit like the molex headers are. It'll work but it won't be very resistant to vibration or movement.

Vero do something similar with a matching terminal that slides over the pin. Our local electronics shops call them Vero pins & Vero sockets, cant tell you the absolutely correct name.....

On this page

http://1176neve.tripod.com/id28.html

I have used them on all the mains connections, covered with heatshrink. I prefer them to the screwdriver type terminal blocks as one doesnt need a screwdriver! Easier for me to undo, essentially.

Peter

I wondered what "vero pins" were - mentioned elsewhere. Thanks friends.

Their website calls them wirewrapping pins so I guess they're meant for soldering to generally.

Come to think of it, I remember having a Veleman kit a decade ago that included pins like this. My soldering skills were bad then and my hookup wire was thick so I used a huge blob of solder to connect.

The holes on the 9k board are too small for regular Molex pins so I'll try a more European solution here. Vero pins should work nicely.

Thanks again. I appreciate the shared insights.

[quote author="kato"]Their website calls them wirewrapping pins so I guess they're meant for soldering to generally.
[/quote]

Wirewrapping pins used to mean ones with a square cross-section and you simply wrapped small solid-core wire around them---no soldering required. They were popular for digital when digital was still fairly slow, in standard TTL days.

At UCLA, I had a Varian minicomputer CPU board that was all wire-wrap. It was donated to a non-profit organization, who in turn found that there were marginal timing issues that crashed things just often enough to make it useless, and gave it to me. I wound up cannibalizing it for the TTL logic and the sockets.

those are not wirewrapping pins. the link shows them closest to the solder pin connections to me.

[quote author="amorris"]those are not wirewrapping pins. the link shows them closest to the solder pin connections to me.[/quote]

Correct---for them to work (make gas-tight connections without soldering) wirewrap pins have to have the square cross-section.

Non-square (albeit sharp-corner) wire-wrap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Crossbar-banjo2-hy.jpg

The locator and CPU card of my 1980 Studer A-800 MkIII are wirewrap.
All the card frames behind the buckets in my former studio's Neve 8108 were wirewrap.
It was a scary, scary time when one of several same colored wires broke.

[quote author="peterc"]Vero do something similar with a matching terminal that slides over the pin. Our local electronics shops call them Vero pins & Vero sockets, cant tell you the absolutely correct name.....

[/quote]

i would be indebted if anybody can come up with this information!! i can get the pins no problems but just blank stares when i try to get the headers

Iain

I have a bunch of info at work... I've just ordered a load of them. They're Molex 'KK' 0.1" series, and they're sold at Mouser, that's all I remember for now.

Keith

I use those connectors a lot.
They are Molex 2.54mm Pitch KK Connectors.
I get mine from Farnell.

They come in different numbers of ways - 2 pole to 15 pole.
Sockets, headers, crimp terminals, 90 degree or straight.

I normally like to use square pin headers (with friction lock) for the PCB
and terminal housings (with crimp pins) for the cable.
The crimp tool is really expensive, so instead I just use a simple wire tool to crimp round the cable and then a dab of solder.
Providing you grip the insulation in the terminal it's fine.

[quote author="barclaycon"]The crimp tool is really expensive, so instead I just use a simple wire tool to crimp round the cable and then a dab of solder.
Providing you grip the insulation in the terminal it's fine.[/quote]

+1

Keith

I ordered some of these and their crimp on female counterpart from Jaycar in Australia....once I figured out that Thursday night for me was actually Friday day for them (Doh!), the transaction went smoothly & shipping was fairly fast considering the Down-Under to US logistics. They were polite & took my plastic. Mouser does stock these, however they are crazy expensive compared to Jaycar, even considering the international shipping.
Mnats is the one who sourced Jaycar for these for his 1176 project. He called them "matrix pins." I found his link using the search function!

I found a crimp tool of all places, at Radio Shack, it was in their closeout bin & marked $3.00. It works well for molex pins as well.

Latest posts

Back