Can I use this to add phantom power to a pair of racked mic pre's?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antoniosolo

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/ps-45-48.shtml
or this
http://skycraftsurplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1711

I found these online .  Is this possible?

i'm not a fountain of information, but i'd say you definitely don't want a switching supply like that first link. will potentially add too much noise. surely something on the jlmaudio.com site would suit your needs, it just depends on which way you want to go. and like a similar thread that popped up recently, you can get an external phantom power box already made and working at retail which will do want you want unless you're really wanting to DIY it.

Why not?  those are pretty cheap and ready to install.  Take the second one out of it's box and put it in your rack chassis.

check the output with an oscilloscope and see if there is a lot of hash.  if so, use an RC network to kill it.

And just because it's a switcher doesn't mean it's automatically noisy.

antoniosolo said:
What is an l-c filter?  Do you have a schematic for this?
LCPI.jpg

You must "tune" the circuit to the frequency of the switching noise. Anyway, do some google about it, it's not a big deal. You can also try some of online LC calculators to determine parts values  ;)

OK I have removed the PSU from the box.  Should it be mounted as suggested and grounded to the chassis?  Appreciate any advice or point me to a book.  Seems simple to wire to XLR inputs with 6.8's I believe and rc circuit or lc circuit.

Attachments

• DSCN0160.jpg
    DSCN0160.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 148
I was wondering if the copper plate on the bottom should NOT contact the ground so I would have to mount upside down or leave it in its box mounted inside.  I guess to err on the side of caution I can leave it in its box inside and just wire it up.  Thank you everyone for your help with this.  Almost done after buying capacitors and resistors and etc yesterday.

Well? Is it working?

You should check that the input capacitors on the pre-amps have a suitable voltage rating (not a problem if they are transformer coupled).

Cheer,

Andy

I can only assume.  They have an input transformer but are Class a/b output without an output transformer.  No, they are not wired up just yet.  Mounted XLR's and such and switches for p48 and 1/4's for line input.

This box worked fine and the measurement for noise was.11???? or something on a voltmeter, sounded fine to me in the cans... as my tech confirmed as he corrected some of my wiring mistakes at the end.  I sold the pair and bought some vintage Neves even-steven... 8).....

I am using one just like the second link, to power a total of 12 channels of mic pre's( 4 Hamptone style, 4 SSM2017 based and 4 oep-transformer-into-OPA2602 api-style)..never had a problem with it being noisy and I dont have to worry about internal transformer affecting input transformers...everything exept signal inside my chassis, is DC..
..and I do believe I still have plenty of power left for a few more...

j

antoniosolo said:
Do you have an internal pic of the four API style?  I am starting on a pair in a few days.
..sorry, I don't...but there really isnt anything to see....I'm to lazy to make a layout and etch a board, so I just build on stripboards..just a transformer going into one side of a dual opamp with a few caps and resistors around it...repeat 3 times and thats it....no output transformer( I live in an unbalanced 10k world), no bells or whistles...not even pretty..just does the job, thats all...
j

Back