Something I want to build for myself. Starting advice.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUDIO FREQ

GDIY Supporter
Hi everyone.

I am looking to build a vocal chain, all in one box for my personal use. Instead of buying individual kits, id like to see if it was feasible to build. Mainly to be able to travel with a single box and a mic to record vocals where ever there is a 120v US outlet. I want to keep it as bare bones as possible.

A few things that I am not sure of.

1. Power Supply, Being that separately, they would all require individual power supplies, but if I build in the same box...would I be able to design a PSU that can accomdate all of them together?
2. Rack Space, if using SMD components, could I shrink this down to 2U Rack space box?
3. The Opto Vactrol style compressor, would like something like the VLA2 by Art Pro. Idk why, but I find I like this compressor alot.
4. Mic Preamp, would love to prioritize low noise, transparency, and simple. No polarity switch, no pad, nothing special...just for a vocal mic with 48v phantom power.
5. I am thinking the PSU is probably the biggest challenge, as it's gotta supply all devices, efficiently and cleanly.
6. The 1176 FET comp, LN low noise edition, with only 4:1 ratio...I don't need anything else.

Is this a stupid idea? Would I be better off just buying individual pieces and routing them via XLR/TRS cables in a rack cabinet? A friend suggested traveling with a portable UA Apollo Twin, but I find hardware compressors to be more pleasing, though...UA plugins are pretty good, but shower thoughts prevail and I am bored in the garage with my soldering iron and new oscilloscope.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 10.18.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 10.18.52 PM.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 10.33.17 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 10.33.17 PM.png
    149.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You're absolutely right that, depending on your preferences for each block of the signal chain, you could be looking at a number of different power rail requirements here. Could get complicated very quickly. For something like this, I'd personally use a 4-slot 500 series rack and four DIY modules. That would sidestep a whole lot of time and effort spent on metalwork and power supply, and would allow for future flexibility if you want to change something up. (Easier to throw in a backpack than a 2U 19" unit as well, as I know from experience!).

For example, you could get kits for everything you're looking for from SoundSkulptor (apart from the rack); or mix things up like AML Neve-style ez1073pre > Hairball FET/500 1176 > JLM LA500 opto comp > SoundSkulptor EQP501 Pultec-style EQ, etc. Lots of options!

You're absolutely right that, depending on your preferences for each block of the signal chain, you could be looking at a number of different power rail requirements here. Could get complicated very quickly. For something like this, I'd personally use a 4-slot 500 series rack and four DIY modules. That would sidestep a whole lot of time and effort spent on metalwork and power supply, and would allow for future flexibility if you want to change something up. (Easier to throw in a backpack than a 2U 19" unit as well, as I know from experience!).

For example, you could get kits for everything you're looking for from SoundSkulptor (apart from the rack); or mix things up like AML Neve-style ez1073pre > Hairball FET/500 1176 > JLM LA500 opto comp > SoundSkulptor EQP501 Pultec-style EQ, etc. Lots of options!
True! I don't know how I didn't think of the 500 route! Totally slipped my mind, thank you!

You're very welcome! I use an old Aphex USB500 (4-slot chassis with integrated USB audio interface) in this way for small remote sessions, fits very nicely in an Amazon basics camera backpack and is super compact.

1000010702.jpg

+1 to the 500 series option. So much easier and more flexible.

I love the radial 500 series cause they have the option to route modules into each other which makes making chains trivial. If you make a preamp/eq module then you could use this and do pre/eq, 1176 from hairball, and LA2a module (or an la3a module from audioscape)

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1040--5...v_uOqHRQRFz_6Y52CfIaAvaPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bump on the radial box.. Having the internal jumpers to link channels together without cables will make everything simpler and cleaner. If you need higher voltage rails you can use dcdc boost modules like lachapell or don classics do. (the DON classics)

I also see the merit in making a stand alone unit even though it will be a bigger design challenge. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with….

Back