"There's probably no God..." campaign

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has to be the single most civilized discussion on religion on the internet!

We have viewpoints from all sides including those from other religions yet we can all accept each other's thoughts.

This is how the world should be, and with luck and a possible higher power helping out, maybe one day we will achieve it.

I think we can all agree that the basic principles of all religions are very close to each other and are not a bad thing as long as they aren't used for political/person gain or control of others.

Svart said:
This has to be the single most civilized discussion on religion on the internet!

We have viewpoints from all sides including those from other religions yet we can all accept each other's thoughts.

This is how the world should be, and with luck and a possible higher power helping out, maybe one day we will achieve it.

I think we can all agree that the basic principles of all religions are very close to each other and are not a bad thing as long as they aren't used for political/person gain or control of others.

1)  I guess you're right, this has been a rather civil thread. 

2)  It'd be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

3)  Yes, they are.  And that's what confuses me so much about religion.  For starters, what's the war stuff all
    about? 

FWIW, we can't wait for god (or any higher power) to solve our problems, so we better figure it out for ourselves.  We could have world peace if we really tried.  Perhaps it's because of the DIY type of mentality (the willingness to try something different and attempt to make different things work together in harmony) that has kept this thread civil.

....  that was deep.

I prefer talking about circuitry since electrons don't care what I believe.

Just to add another tidbit to ponder, a Turkish scholar is arguing a Islamic version of creationism.

Opinions vary...

JR

Jesus made a very interesting statement that has incredible ramifications that most Christians pay little or no attention to:

He said "Woe to you scribes and Pharisees"..who were the religious elite of his day, his problem with them was that they did not enter the Kingdom of God, nor would they let others enter it...and then he went on to say that everything he did was born out of the kingdom of God.

So here's the summary, Jesus basically said that religion, and its leaders was the biggest hindrance to operating the way he did.

And since he said that we have built huge religious organizations in his name...not realizing that the very things that we have done are exactly the opposite of what he advocated.

Religion kills...and prevents people from experiencing life the way Jesus offered it...and whether you believe the stories in the Bible or not you do have to accept that the basic teachings of Jesus to love your enemies and take care of your fellow man are hard to beat for radical lifestyle solutions.

JohnRoberts said:
I prefer talking about circuitry since electrons don't care what I believe.

Just to add another tidbit to ponder, a Turkish scholar is arguing a Islamic version of creationism.

Opinions vary...

JR

That is certainly not me. ;D

My dad was religious, because he prayed five times a day. However, he was very liberal and he never ever imposed anything on us in terms of religion. No, he did actually, one thing, to respect others' beliefs, whatever it is. He always told us this story. My grand dad was an imam but was also a cratfsmen, so he was not in the classic sense of a "cleric" or sort. In fact there is no cleric hierarchie in Islam. Don't pay any attention to people who pass themselves as mollas. Anyhow, the story;

When my dad was young he obviously had the problems of any youth would have, and started to miss his prayers, particularly the morning ones as it required getting up at 5:00 am. So my grand dad notices this but does not say anything to him for a few days. But then he realises that missing morning prayers extend to midday, evening etc. Anyhow, one morning he wakes my father up before sunrise and says to him,
"get up, either to the mosque, church or the synagogue, you gotta go somewhere".

So, everybody has a view and understanding of his/her beliefs. That was my grand dad, but for me the belief  does not necessarily have to be a religion either. Are you feeling o.k with what you believe in? Cool.

Latest posts

Back