"There's probably no God..." campaign

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you focus on the Christian religion then you likely have read that Jesus didn't believe in a structured religion at all.  If anything, I believe that the structure behind religion is the overwhelmingly "bad" force behind the negative aspects of the Christian faith.  If you keep it to yourself and believe what you want then there is no problem.  The problem is when it's forced upon you and you are judged by your answer.  Of course if you accept then you are good/moral/etc.  If you refuse then you are seen as bad/evil/immoral/etc.  

The real sad part is that the structure of a religion is the same across most religions.  It controls your actions through the reward/punishment mechanism.  It was initially used as a form of law that transcended the prison/jail punishment by putting fear of the unknown into people's minds at an early age.  In the normal rule of law you know what the consequences of your actions are.  In the religious rule of law, you are faced with the unfathomable Hell, pain and suffering for eternity.  Your mind makes up the worst possible scenarios and thus scares you into compliance.  

It's simply low level mind control.  Which is sad when you compare what it's become(fear of not conforming) vs. what the original intentions were(love and respect for everyone).

And I must add that I hold no grudge against any religion at all.  I didn't/don't intend to offend anyone of any religion at all.  I just see a lot of double standards in the religious structure that leave me scatching my head.

In fact my last ex-girlfriend was religious and we would have many discussions on the matter.  One discussion left me with a particular bad taste in my mouth though.  The version of Christianity that she was brought up in taught that no matter what your deeds were in life, if you didn't accept Jesus as your lord then you would go to Hell.  I have taken great strides in the last half of my life to genuinely enjoy being good to people around me.  I have found it much more rewarding than my less-than-good deeds in my teenage years.  I openly questioned my ex about striving to be a good person because I wanted to be and how her version of Christianity viewed those actions as they apply to going to Heaven(tm) or Hell(tm).  I was told that regardless of my deeds if I didn't choose Jesus and go to church then I would go to Hell no matter if I had never done anything bad in my life.  In the same respect, I asked about a murderer that repents on the day of his execution.  I was told that all of his sins would be absolved and he would go to Heaven.

???

So you can be good all of your life and not believe and go to Hell.

OR

You can murder people and eat their pet hamsters but repent and go to Heaven.

She also explained that while the Word told her that she must love everyone she must also stay away from those who aren't believers as merely cohorting with a non-believer is grounds for going to Hell. 

???

Svart, I am with you.  I am (for what it's worth) agnostic/atheist, depending on the day.  I figure if I live a decent life being kind to my fellow man/mankind and treat all living things with respect (yes, animals and mother Earth), and do my best to spread love and kindness, that should appease the "all good" judging god (regardless of the religion).  If that god is going to dismiss me for not pledging allegiance to it and worship it x# of times /week or day regardless of the life I've lived as the person I am; but will then accept a repentant murderer into the holy kingdom, then f*ck it.  I'll go with the other nice people like yourself who chose not to proclaim allegiance to God, Allah, Zeus, Jupiter, Odin, etc. 

But, before the door shuts on that elevator going down, I'd be sure to tell that God that he/she/it hasn't done a very good job with mankind.

Oh yeah, and thanks for beer!

I screwed one (a light bulb) in all by myself the other day, but I can't remember wether I was an atheist or agnostic that day. 

I did it with beer in hand!

This church is preaching the Gospel of Smith:

churchsign.jpg

isnt
www.chruchsigngenerator.com the best...
classic41sq6.jpg

sign10vt3.jpg

sign09sh2.jpg

classic4uw4.jpg

yeah, okay, ill stop now.

religion is weird.
I have problems with my own faith, growing up in a catholic family...
i think i have the right to choose to go or not go to services and the freewill to choose whether or not to believe.
And i will fight and die to protect this right for others and myself.

I think the difference is just how you look at it.

The majority of intelligent/schooled folks that I've met that were religious adults, were brought up in deeply religious families.  At this point it's ingrained in who they are but they tend to avoid the answers that question their faith.

The majority of unschooled/not-so-intelligent folks I've met that were religious adults, were either brought up in deeply religious families or gained religion as a source of support in both physical and mental realms.  They tend to not question their faith in any way and their lack of scientific knowledge only furthers this.

The majority of intelligent/schooled folks that I've met that were NOT religious adults, were either brought up in religious families or they weren't but later found that the world was easier to explain through science than through stories.

For me, science explains all I need to understand. 

For someone else who doesn't understand various types of science, a belief in God might offer better explanations.

sahib said:
pstamler said:
Okay, so how many atheists does it take to screw in a light bulb? The world is waiting for the answer.

Peace,
Paul

None. Because the bulb is a bayonet type.

..none..we dwell in darkness...
...or so I'm often told by a "believer" at work...
j

3nity said:
There's probably no God
And whats the point in this if you;re not sure?
theres a chance you're probabibly WRONG!

Keep it cool fellas...

The only reason it says probably, was to make it more palatable. The people behind this campaign believe that there is no God, just as some people believe that there is a God, and the main point is that we all have different beliefs and the right to believe in what you choose should be universal.

The Comedy writer probably has a nice pair. I wouldn't mind assisting her to start screaming "Oh My God".

Latest posts

Back