Custom Transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

I need to find a source that will wind to my specifications on C-Core. If it works out I might release a point to point design that will satisfy most compressor needs for a while....hahaha.

:D
This is great!
I love point to point, transformers and compressors!
Alas, I dropped out of college and never became a schemotechnical genius...
But people like you make it happen!
Thanks analag!

Do you need specifically C-core, or would double C do it?

I once visited a web site (and of course didn't bookmark it) of an Eastern European manufacturer who does exactly that: Winds anything they are asked for. But I guess you can find somebody a bit closer to do it. Any way, these guys were not expensive and at least the website was in English :)  I think they mostly used double-C.

Perhaps somebody on the forum knows these guys.

-Jonte

I understand you don't provide cores. Send me some details via PM or email and I'll ask a guy I know.
btw, where are you from analag?

http://www.mueller-rondo.com/
that´s where most of us germany DIYers get our custom transformers done. Volker organized several groupbuys from this company, btw.

analag said:
I need to find a source that will wind to my specifications on C-Core. If it works out I might release a point to point design that will satisfy most compressor needs for a while....hahaha.

Is it a split C or tape wound?
I have a CNC winder, so might help you here.

Best, M

I wonder if people have good experience of alpha-cores in audio? Their C-cores are cheap and look like properly made. They also provide the necessary mounting stuff and "bobbins". The steel is M4. Did you, Analag, possibly use these in your impressive Fairchild-like comp in those zillion times interleaved trannies? I'm just wondering if I would wind something for fun, because I have well-working Avo machine for the job. But I'm not qualified to do it for other people :( (yet)

http://www.alphacoredirect.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d3.html&lmd=39634.474294

-Jonte

I'm in the Hartford, CT area. I use Alphacore stuff extensively. I've tried both types of toroidal shapes and of course the C (I love the sound of em).
Marik, I wound the audio transformers layer by layer and applied varnish as I go to ensure no vibration of the coils along with the other benefits it offers. The power was done on toroidal core with seven secondaries to consolidate all voltage needs and to also minimize emission. Quite an hefty fellow.
BTW I used C core so I could have complete symmetry in both halves of the coils. I'll check the links guys.

Edcor has done some custom "low brow" geetar amp stuffs for me.  Not as fancy pants as what yer needing, but but very very good end results.

analag said:
Marik, I wound the audio transformers layer by layer and applied varnish as I go to ensure no vibration of the coils along with the other benefits it offers.

You can tell the CNC and program whatever you want and whenever you want it to stop to put the varnish.

Best, M

After I get the transformer situation worked out, I will need to know how many people might be willing and able to build this thing which is NOT for the beginner. We are working with over 400V and 30 tubes.

I hope this is not a stupid question, but why, in a project of this magnitude wouldn't one vacuum impregnate the trannies? It can not be expensive, and you wouldn't have to mess with multiple hand applied layers.

analag said:
over 400V and 30 tubes.
:eek:
This is incredible! Time for some serious DIY! Thats like 10-15 A just in heaters!
I got some power transformers waiting for this in the garage...
Will this be strictly p2p?

Jonte Knif said:
I hope this is not a stupid question, but why, in a project of this magnitude wouldn't one vacuum impregnate the trannies? It can not be expensive, and you wouldn't have to mess with multiple hand applied layers.

How about even distribution of the magnetic field...scatter winding is questionable in my mind's eye. To avoid all confusion I'm only open to input transformer subs. Ratio will remain the same since this thing has lots of gain.

this project is not for me (30 tubes?!?!?) but on the trafos, Altran may be able to do it. They are outside Chicago and very reasonable.  Call or email and ask for Dave. No I do not work for them but have had good experiences with them overall.
www.altrancorp.com

I know we like to keep prices low, but Cinemag might be down for something interesting.

Analog,

Are you referred to in the TubeCAD Journal?

And I would be very into a P2P design from you.

Thanks-

Latest posts

Back