New Behringer C1 Mic - £30 RRP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Just received the new Behringer catalogue today (inside another magazine)
FET Condenser Mic for £30 including VAT
http://www.behringer.com/C-1/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I don't think I can buy a mic body for that amount
Might just buy it to totally rip the inards out

Sounds like it's time to arrange regular factory-direct groupbuys of all Behringer stuff: this C-1, the ADA-8000... :wink:

But let's be fair, keep the logo - as an appreciation of their mechanical work for such prices.

We could try to persuade them to sell us empty boxes... :?: :!: :roll:

Thank looks like one of the plastic body Superlux microphones. Electric SD element etc. IIRC Sam Ash carrys it as a stageworks model now.

Red5 audio has some microphpnes in that pricerange as well (at least close):

http://www.red5audio.com/acatalog/Microphones.html

Robert

It might have a diecast body I don't trust specs etc . It looks like the superlux maybe they make two body types or maybe the write up is wrong?

It might have a diecast body I don't trust specs etc . It looks like the superlux maybe they make two body types or maybe the write up is wrong?

Sure, could be an error. And even if it's a die-cast body it doesn't make it a blameless thing.
If it is plastic then it'd save time - we could stop considering it right away, not ? :wink:

Makes me think a bit of those headphones Beh. introduced a while back.
Very cheap, in most ways. They had better made it less cheap (in more than a few ways),
it would have resulted in a few more happy people.

If it is plastic it might have a cheap electrc capsule with a built in fet this could mean you could use plasic because the circuit after the capsule would be lower Z and less likly to pick ip hum. If you use a real condenser capsule the High Z lets it pickup all kind of stuff.

I have not been inside that microphone however some dynamics use a humbucking coil

The body is die cast. The reason the one in the pictures looks plastic is because it isn't a real mic...it is a Buzz Lightyear.

It's a computer rendering!

Evem if it uses a decent capsule, I have heard that the capsule mfgrs are dealing out the better specced units to companies who pay more...which would mean these things are built from the dogs that come off the assembly line.

Altough, knowing Behri we may be surprised. They have been known to surprise a few.

Shane

[quote author="Gus"]If it is plastic it might have a cheap electrc capsule with a built in fet this could mean you could use plasic because the circuit after the capsule would be lower Z and less likly to pick ip hum. If you use a real condenser capsule the High Z lets it pickup all kind of stuff.[/quote]

Wouldn't some kind of conductive paint be possible inside a plastic body, though? A product does exist, it's used for guitar shielding.

Anyway, one of these days I'll have to buy one of those cheapy LDCs and see what I can do with it.

btw, the platic box they supply (shown in the "misc" picture) is the same as the one that Nady uses...

Interesting that the chose "C1" as the model name...as in StudioProjects C1 :?:

Definitely a nice starting point for DIY!

Peace!
Charlie

Take a trip to you local Sam Ash store they carry a cheap Stageworks that looks a lot like this . FWIW the capsules used in some of the cheaper microphones are not at all up to the AT models. IIRC a new AT2020 20mm? was at AES. The list is about $170.00 USA This might be a good one to mod etc. I would quess the street price would be lower.

I bought two sampson co1s because in the loud store they did not sound that bad. I thought they might be good for drum overheads. The noise from the cheap capsule made me cut a capsule apart. The stock capsule sucks as far as noise goes. I would think the cheap ber would have the same or CHEAPER capsule.

Can imagine that higher noise level being a problem for
soft sources, but do you consider it a problem for
drum overhead-use ? (think loud drums)

Our drummer bought the Samson CO-3, I was thinking about
buying one myself as well to get us a pair.
IIRIC the CO-3 uses two times the CO-1 capsule, right ?
I want a CO-3 i.s.o. a CO-1 to be able to toy around with the various patterns for other sources.

Apart from the noise, what are your eventual other disappointments
in these mics ?

Thanks,

Peter

The capsule is the heart if it sucks the microphone sucks. I dislike noise.

It looks like the standard S circuit. Upgrade a few caps if you can stand the hiss. The AT capsules are OK. For less money than the CO1 you can buy the nady CM90 and change a few caps the cm90 sound better than the CO1 and is not much more than the new berrrrr better yet get a MXL603 or the SP C4. Remember the new ber and the CO1 are using 20mm caps with a baffle and have some weird stuff going on when mounted like in the CO1. I don't think the cheap capsule were designed for this type of mounting., you have grill and baseplate refections. I have one of the MCA SP1s. I upgraded the stand S circuit in it still sounds like crap. That SD capsule in the side address microphone is not a good one IMO. The SD capsule overload on voice and sound like crap for other uses because of the body design. I think they would sound better end fire like the Alice microphone post.

I think people that post at other sites about how good the MXL90?, MCA SP1, CO1 etc. have never heard a real Microphone. I think it is they bought something cheap and it sounded different than a SM57, They should go back and listion to the SM57 again.

Take a look at an AT capsule and one of the cheap pieces of crap in the CO1

Gus,

Do you think there is enough space in the C01 / Ber C1 head grille cavity to install a small ribbon motor?

I've got a Ber C1 on order for hacking purposes.

Based on the large pics of the Ber C1 grille - very little open area, especially at the bottom of the grille - I'll replace the stock grille with a more open weave.

Latest posts

Back