Chinese Capsules development 797 etc

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two (well four physically put two functionally) possible ways of reattaching the halves. When you put them back together make sure that you can't see any light coming through when you hold it up between your eye and a lamp

if it's still got a metal spacer in the middle, you could carefully take the plastic halves off and join the two metal halves into one working k67, with a single one of the metal spacers in the middle. dismount the capsule and take out the long middle screws in the groups of 3 screws on both sides, then carefully separate the two halves and show us what's between them
Thank you! If I decide to do that, I will post here about it to show what's inside. I wouldn't mind just having a cardioid only 87 style mic though, maybe will just build that way... May actually just order new double sided K67's from 797 and leave these C1's alone as a utility mic in the closet. I still use them sometimes. They're just boring sounding and too bright to be used as drum overheads in my opinion.

Also it seems to me this capsule has been tampered with. The plastic transparent half seems to have the holes widened, and lack two screws. Someone tried to make it more hypercardioid?
Interesting observation- I can verify that I am the 1st person to have opened up these 2 mics' capsule baskets though. The red glue or paint I'm not sure was still on the screw heads. Was difficult to get them off actually. So if that is true, then this is an original pair of 797 capsules and they came that way from the factory. These are really old mics though, 1st iteration of the C1's I think, so maybe that's just how they were making them at the time...
What would be the change or goal doing this?
If both sides are available & interactive then you can have a multi-pattern mic if you hook up both sides to the circuit. Right now only one side is available so cardioid only.

Ah very cool! Thank you for posting that! I'm amazed someone else already covered this random subject that was entertaining to read. I'm not positive I want to do that when these capsules can be had so cheaply, might just build a couple 87 circuits and drop them into my C1's and leave the switch in cardioid mode. But it's great to know you can!

I am trying to figure out which capsule is the right one to buy if you want to make a multipattern u87 or 67 and I think it is the CY037 one at the bottom of this pamphlet? Or is it CY002. I can't tell. I think the main difference is 6 micron thick mylar on CY037 vs the 3 micron thick on CY002. Does anyone know which one to get?

Attachments

• 797 capsules.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I am trying to figure out which capsule is the right one to buy if you want to make a multipattern u87 or 867

It’s the CY002

Last time I ordered those where $50 USD each, but they charged me $50 for shipping, so I ordered 4 capsules as just for one capsule the shipping cost was too high

Then you have to pay by bank transfer, I was able to do the transfer with a service and app called “Wise”, was not able to do it with “Revolut” app though.
If I did the transfer through my regular bank instead of Wise the Fees were really high, I think they would charge me 70€ to do a $250 USD transfer to China, crazy stuff

It’s the CY002

Last time I ordered those where $50 USD each, but they charged me $50 for shipping, so I ordered 4 capsules as just for one capsule the shipping cost was too high

Then you have to pay by bank transfer, I was able to do the transfer with a service and app called “Wise”, was not able to do it with “Revolut” app though.
If I did the transfer through my regular bank instead of Wise the Fees were really high, I think they would charge me 70€ to do a $250 USD transfer to China, crazy stuff
Cool thanks! Yeah international transactions suck for small businesses. Not sure how large ones handle it. I make most of my living that way, probably have given Paypal enough money to make a down payment on a house by now…. Wise is cool. Bank transfers internationally usually not a good bargain. Sometimes it’s still less than the Paypal fee though! Anyway cheers, thanks, I’ll ask 797 about the CY002.

Last edited:
If both sides are available & interactive then you can have a multi-pattern mic if you hook up both sides to the circuit. Right now only one side is available so cardioid only.

Ah, thanks, somehow I did not saw the idea of doing one doublesided K67 from two cardioid ones 🙈

Not sure how this relates, but over the weekend I built an "Alice OPA" dual condenser using the TSC-2 from here:
Total build cost was about $125 (including the capsule)and frankly it's one of the best sounding quiet mics I own now...
I shielded the crap out of it and had to make the y-splitter cable a couple of times but well worth the entrance price and it only took a few hours.

Thank you! If I decide to do that, I will post here about it to show what's inside. I wouldn't mind just having a cardioid only 87 style mic though, maybe will just build that way... May actually just order new double sided K67's from 797 and leave these C1's alone as a utility mic in the closet. I still use them sometimes. They're just boring sounding and too bright to be used as drum overheads in my opinion.

Interesting observation- I can verify that I am the 1st person to have opened up these 2 mics' capsule baskets though. The red glue or paint I'm not sure was still on the screw heads. Was difficult to get them off actually. So if that is true, then this is an original pair of 797 capsules and they came that way from the factory. These are really old mics though, 1st iteration of the C1's I think, so maybe that's just how they were making them at the time...

This is interesting material, as I still have one of two first iteration 797 C1 mics.

Latest posts

Back