Finished BA6A Limiter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlamn

Hi,
Here is a couple of pics of the BA6a I completed.

It is my first limiter build and I am very pleased with it. Built into a 3U box it has
turned out reasonably tidy and sounds pretty good too. It is hum free and noisless to a
threshold of no concern to me.

I built it for tracking, but I think it sounds so good I am now building another in order to
have a stereo pair.
All the iron is Sowter iron.

I added a few of the usual extra bits - threshold, attack, S/C hi pass.
I was going to put in the extra valve test and thump calibrating stuff, only to realise that
as I have to take the lid of to get at the calibration pots, I might as well just use a meter
and be done with the extra switching.

I know its odd having the ins and outs on the front ! Its how I wanted it !

I figure it may be useful to post the turret type layout that I did. It might be of help to
some if they choose to build this way.

Thanks to those who shared and helped - much appreciated ..
Thanks also for this forum. A great resource..

Front.jpg

Top3.jpg

Top2.jpg

Driver.jpg

Output.jpg

Damn Schlamn!!!!
That's a beaut!
Nice work.....and thanks for posting the layout too ;D

How about some audio samples? maybe a track before and after....

Looks beautiful!

Wish I'd never got rid of my original BA6A, the absolute best AGtr / Bass Gtr compressor ever!

Thank you for the layout docs.

Mark

Cheers for the positivity.. Yes it is big and heavy !!

I will have a root about see if I can find some audio to post up.

Looking forward to having a stereo pair .. certainly be running mixes through it then  ;D 

hi schlamn,

nice pics. the wiring looks much better then the one in my version.
but i also like it. the output tx i found it on evilbay. it looks pretty similar to the original and is 9k:500 instead of the 8k:600. the interstage is 10k ct : 10k from edcor. input is 600:10k edcor too, as soon i have some time i want to give some other input transformers a try. i have some nice old siemens and telefunken txs from old equipment lying around. probably some of them work for this one.
the power transformer is a custom wound toroid. when i ordered it, i forgot the voltage drop of the rectifier tube so i'm using silicon to get the needed voltage. (beginners faults)

it would be great to compare the sound to yours as you used the sowter replacement transformers.

the case is from an old control unit i scored at ebay for 20 euro.

i plan to build 3 units more since i have 3 more output transformers. have to see when i find the time to do that.

peace

christian

Attachments

• ba6a.jpg
    ba6a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 374

Latest posts

Back