new project? tube di ----ala avalon, reddi, demeter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buschfsu

yeah we could just use the di on a mic pre but what about a dedicated DI ala the ones above. would the one bottle or the mila play nice with different transformers?  what do you guys think?

A dedicated DI is a waste of perfectly good mic preamp.

buschfsu said:
would the one bottle or the mila play nice with different transformers?

what do you mean? if you waste a great mic preamp like that for a plain DI, you don't need a transformer at all.

Most [ many ] D.I.'s are mic level out to use the xfmr
for the impedance conversion and thus not full preamps
in their own right  , BUT able to be used with your fav pre
for extra charactor , and more simple in contruction
maybe not as sexy as a pre

the xfmr is important on the output as a way to convert impedance ,
although a simple tube or fet could do , although unbalenced .

Bo's simple fet d.i. is around ,
a d.i. alone is not a bad idea
and doable ptp

no schematic on the brick though.  if its a waste why are the avalon, reddi, demeter et al so popular.  i was assuming they were tweeked to be a great bass unit.

buschfsu said:
if its a waste

I was just saying it's a waste when you're going to be building a tube preamp for the "dedicated tube DI" anyway, that it's only one transformer away from a great mic pre.

My best DI bass unit is a NYD two-bottle preamp, with (oddly enough) a cheap OEP transformer wired as 2:1 ratio. It should be 4:1 but the OEP will crap out because it's physically too small.

Still, it's surprising what combos bring great sounds.

Why not design what you want?  Set you design limits like power supply you want, number of parts, tube, total cost limit,  blah blah blah and start a design of your own?

Do you want a plate out to a CF to a 4:1? what type of feedback? etc.  Or a Alembic pre with an added EF or SF or CF and transformer out?  All kind of things you can do.

Latest posts

Back