Why is it you never see a guitar amp with a built in crossover

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AC30s are great, recorded, in a room by themselves, where nobody has to deal with them.

Set them on a stage, in a smaller room, and you have the most directional, dangerous, point-it-at-your-head-and-die piece of equipment on that stage.

The bright sounds that come from that amp are terrifying live - because whoever is directly in front of it gets a faceful of guitar.  Everyone more than 15 degrees either way of the face listens to good music.

Then again, I'm a big fan of the Matchless DC30 tone.

However a Twelve in a baffle is a very good approximation of an acoustic guitar's voice, and most "improvements" aren't.

I strongly advise you to re-string your acoustic.
But I agree to your point.

Electric guitar is(or at least has been in the past)all about upper midrange.

I think there is a economic aspect of this. Build a 50W 20hz-20khz amp. Plugg your strat in. Hook the amp up to a 12" speaker. Play.

That 50W amp will run out of headroom stupidly fast. All that lower mids/bass thump from a typical pickup will hit the B+ pretty hard .

So what hat to do? Buy more components(tweeter, coil, big caps)?
Or do we buy smaller cheaper ones (coupling caps) to cut that rumble out for good?
I think the choice was simple for Leo Fender. Good sound or not, that is the sound many of us has grown to love.

Back