Gibson EB "mudbucker" thought experiment: why is it muddy?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapfoot

A friend asked me the other day to speculate on why the Gibson EB pickup (colloquially called the "mudbucker" is so muddy.

I don't know very much about the pickup, as I've never dissected or measured one, but I do know:

It's a double-coil design with a very large number of windings on each coil, a total DC resistance of about 30k, and (anecdotally/logically) a very high inductance relative to many other electric guitar/bass pickups.

My first thought was that maybe the high high inductance shiftsthe pickup's resonant frequency substantially lower than a "typical" design, and that maybe the high resistance sharpens the Q enough to make this lower resonance more-noticeable, compounding the "muddy" impression.

But then I started to think about the input impedance of a typical amplifier in relation to the much-higher-than-normal output impedance of the pickup, and began to wonder whether this could result in a treble-robbing loading behavior?

I wonder whether any of the smart people here have any input--in the meantime I'll reach out to my friend and see if he can get me an inductance measurement on the pickup

all those turns means high capacitance which shorts out the hi end, and the DCR probably drops off a bit of hi end also. i like the sound, Jack Bruce, Felix Papperaldi (Mountain) , Glen Cornick (Tull), Andy Fraser (Free), Chris White (Zombies), Bill Wyman, Alan Woody (Govt Mule), John Perry (Caravan), Colin Pattenden (Manfred Mann's Earth Band) ,

the trick is finding a good amp to use with that bass. Like a Sunn Solarus or an Ampeg B-15,

They are cool!

My friend has several of them, and had the idea of a simple external box (or even something built into a cable connector) that would get the super-low-end under control a bit—it easily overwhelms some amps like the Fender Bassman

I was just brainstorming things I might try—a small coil in parallel to reduce inductance? Or maybe even a simple first-order high pass with a corner frequency right around 50Hz might do something worthwhile?

But I’m not sure there’s much non-invasive that I could do to reduce coil capacitance

Back