new to forum/looking for ideas on compression/ new designs/etc

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loss1234

Hi there.

This is my first post so I hope this is the right area.

I have been building and designing synthesizer and effects stuff for about 3 yrs now.

I have been working in studios for many more

BUT I was never able to afford the good audio gear that I use on my clients sessions.

However, recently, I have started to mess around with Compressor/Limiter circuits (a few of the simple ones, a modified WHAT, some opto experiments, and a few VCA chip experiments, etc) and I am very excited to actually be getting GOOD pumping drums for about 10 bucks in parts.

SO

I am more than happy with the way that my self-made Opto compressors sound. BUT i have hit a wall in how far I can take that and I want to learn, learn, learn!!

I want to get in on discussions of non linear transfer blocks, VCA designs, attack and release blocks, discrete level detectors, and experimental techniques for crushing sound. I want to find out if its possible to replace transformers with opamps or transistors, etc.

I am looking for any information, projects, threads, etc that are exploring NEW compressor designs,  or hacks of old designs that find ways around things like the transformers, special pots and allow general purpose transistors, etc.

I prefer opamp based designs for ease of testing on the breadboard and modifying. I am not a tube person. I like being able to look at a schematic full of opamps and KNOW what is going on in the circuit. This is still hard for me to do with a schematic full of transistors and impossible for me to do with a schematic full of tubes. (of course maybe some of you know how to look at tubes and CONVERT it to opamps, and I envy you!)

This may be offensive to some but I am not too interested in making it sound authentic or classic. I just want something that works and works well and sounds good and hopefully, maybe eventually, explores some new sonic territory. (of course I would LOVE to own an 1176, etc, and maybe eventually when I have money I can get into some of the actual CLONE circuits)

with a new baby I cant afford transformers or special parts. BUT I have a room full of normal parts. And all I ever do is build!

If you cant tell, I often like compressors that SOUND like compression. Compression as an effect. transparent is awesome for some stuff but for my personal recordings I like stuff that pumps or swells, brings out the subtle noises and brings a smile to my face.

I am very excited to be joining this forum as it is obvious that there are A LOT of brilliant people here!

cant wait to meet you!

thanks so much

You sound like you would be interested in the Pico compressor, which has it's own forum.  Lots of theory and discussion over there. 

yeah i have been checking that one out a lot. Of course it needs some special chips which look a little pricey ;)

but I am definitely going to check out that thread!

I have been studying the way they do the attack/release on that one.

and this is one thing I am noticing. you can learn a lot from a schematic for a compressor EVEN if you dont have all the parts.
many take special VCA chips or RMS converters, but you can still study the FWR or the Attack/release section, or the in/out amps.

thanks!!

You can also look at the schematics for what is inside the chips for some more insight. There are lots of ways to vary att/hold/rel. IMO the way you vary the control voltage is as significant if not more than the gain element used.

JR

For compressors that are somewhat different, check out some fx pedal circuits.

They are not using transformers or even vca chips instead a combo of opamp and discrete components.
And in configurations that are different from the classic compressor designs.

To get really interesting, perhaps using envelope generator fx circuit as side chain.

That could lead to some new-ish designs.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/shurem62v.pdf

The only point of interest in the Shure compressor is that it's an almost academic application of an FET compressor, with a very basic full-wave rectifier, single time-constant release and no THD compensation of the FET. Interesting in a didactic POV. But I wouldn't think much of it in terms of sound.

>>>> how does that one sound?

Search gearslutz for "level-loc". For some, it has a cult status as a "the one" lo-fi smasher. You can get a feel for what it's all about f.e. here (a clone promo thread, personally I'm not related with it and don't care for it):

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/361853-dynamic-death-ray-based-shure-level-loc.html

sounds like George Massenberg is the guy for you.

clean, modern, no tubes, no transformers, but plenty of complex circuitry full of chips.
he does the AES circuit, if you happen to be able to catch a lecture, that would be your best learning experience, as you can pin him down after the dog and pony act and ask questions about his car, and stuff like that..

Back