A/B comparison between DAW SUMMING vs ANALOG SUMMING

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's funny how some people think. It's almost as though their thought process is "gee, these professional sound engineers gotta be rich and stupid for spending 7k on a U47 when they can get the clone for $1,500" haha.
No, pro's are not stupid they are just pro and must have a lot of "tools" to finsih the job. After 20y in pro recording, after more than 60 commercial CD's and more than 60 hit songs I realized that there is no rule of using tools. I recorded and produced people who can sound terrible on U47 but shure 57 or cheapo ch mic was the real one. Same with compressor , preamp, reverb and summing... Some music sounds boring in the box but sometimes Cubase do the job. There is the point you have to use your ears and to be intuitive.
I'm a big fan of measuring but better measures don't make "better" sound or a hit tune. There is no "golden algorithm" or automatic curve what can make proper mix or mastering. So, it's up to you to choose way to go and test the results in the real world. You don't have to talk with pro people and proove what's better. Just run your song to the public , make a hit and then post your gear list on Gearslutz to make one more "golden setup" for young and horny generations.
Cheers  ;)
P.S. I wanted to stay silent but some "dark force" forced me to write this  ;D

Hi Stefanos

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to do this test and for posting the files. Special thanks to the dude who hosted them as well. I really appreciate it as I am considering building a summing mixer as well as all the other DIY stuff sitting on my desk... ;D

I conclude that the two mixes are different. Very different. It is very difficult for me to explain the differences in words but I will try my best. The ITB mix sounds more constricted. The boundaries of the different frequencies from each instrument are blending closer together. This makes the ITB mix sound less clearer than the OTB mix. The OTB mix has more separation and depth. The stereo image in a little wider as well. The OTB mix has more "punch" and is "bigger".

I prefer the OTB mix and so does a producer friend I played the test to.

One thing is sure, I will be building a summing mixer sooner rather than latter.

Cheers

J

Latest posts

Back