ELECTRICITY IS DANGEROUS!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a 1/4" chisel (freshly sharpened and mirror-polished) all the way through my right thumb about a year ago... I still have tinglies in it from time to time... nerve damage sucks :(

Nerve Damage sucks indeed.

15 years ago I had a car accident where all 10 of my fingers where broken and a lot of nerves where cut.
(had to ask for help when I wanted to pee :green: )

today, I still feel some tiny pieces of car glass under my fingers skin.

That aside, I once had to connect a heater, cables where hidden in a closet, I squeezed myself into the closet on my knees, thought the power was cut off, grabbed the cable with my bare hands and got natural high instantly :green: ..
getting back out of the closet went pretty easy, hahahahahaha.

I got shocked once whilve swaping out some tubes. I had the unit off for a few hours so I figured it would be o.k. to do it. I happened to make a complete circuit touching the tube and I remember the circuit board. Anyway even after a few hours the caps still heald a charge. Would never want that to happen again or wish it on anybody.

I hate getting hit. Hurts, makes you do a stupid little dance and there's nobody to thank for the lucky fact that yr still alive. I have just about got myself convinced that when I take that other hand out of my pocket I'm getting too excited about what I'm doing. Works great when you're setting up a studio off an input list too.

Ha. I got started electrocuting myself long before you guys. Sort of, anyway. This is by far my earliest memory:

When I was about three I was trying for some reason to remove a plug from the socket in the wall. I struggled but couldn't get it out for the life of me, so I went to the kitchen, rummaged about in the drawers and found a table knife. You can guess what happened next :roll: I stuck the knife between the plug and the wall to prise the plug out and BANG! There were a lot of sparks. My parents came rushing in from the other room to find me bawling my little eyes out, and the tip of the knife had melted (we still have it somewhere). This was in the UK, by the way, so mains was at 240V.

The amazing thing is that I managed to pick out the *only* bone handled knife we have out of about 12 metal handled knives, and so didn't get electrocuted. Quite lucky, really.

Apparently my parents had trip switches fitted the next day...

[quote author="fluxivity"]I hate getting hit. Hurts, makes you do a stupid little dance and there's nobody to thank for the lucky fact that yr still alive.[/quote]

and i wasn't that much into dancing in the frist place!!!

Killer, LMBO :green:

:sam:

Tony

Hi,

Ever touched the VHT of an old color TV ?
Well.........it burns little holes in your fingers :cry:

Greets

Yep, you are "very" right. :grin:
Trying to fix the focus whilst looking at the screen :shock:

Greets

[quote author="BVB"]Trying to fix the focus whilst looking at the screen :shock:[/quote]
I suggest using a mirror next time :wink:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

ooh ooh, me me!

I did something insanely stupid when I was first getting into radio... I even knew better! But my overpowering curiosity made me do it anyway.

I had read about 50 ohm dummy loads, so I took a pair of 100ohm 1/4W resistors, twisted them up parallel, held them between my thumb and forefinger in the antenna connector of my 100W radio, and keyed up.

YEEEEOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!

RF burn and scorched resistor burn at the same time.

Carried the resistor-shape on the pad of my thumb for some weeks :)

Yikes! Reminds me of a story I heard about a guy who lost his antenna connection outside. The rf had nowhere to go so it came back down the line and fried all the wiring in his house.

must have been a big setup!

I never played with anything bigger than 100W. 100W was tame enough that you could just barely almost feel the pain if you grabbed a live xmitting antenna

>> nobody has ever had an rf burn arounfd here? jeeez.

> I took a pair of 100ohm 1/4W resistors, held them between my thumb and forefinger in the antenna connector of my 100W radio, and keyed up.

Not the same at all. What you did burns from outside to in. You probably let go before too much skin boiled away. Worst come to worst, we cut off your fingertips and call you "Stumpy".

Stick part of yourself inside a microwave oven, or in front of a megawatt radar, or inside the tank coil of a big transmitter. The sneaky thing is: the radio waves go right through the skin, nearly no heat, but concentrate inside your flesh. You can boil your liver, brain, eye-jelly before you know it. And being a highly unnatural way to get burnt, neither your body nor your doctor really know how to make it better.

Latest posts

Back