Snake cable thru conduit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul G

Does anyone have any experience pulling snake and/or regular mic cable through a conduit?  I'm doing a sound system retrofit.  I want to use Canare.  This one is actually designed for pulling but Markertek does not sell it by the foot. 

http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Bulk-Wire-Cable/Bulk-Audio-Cable/Canare-Corporation-Of-America/L-4E4-2AT.xhtml

Thought about just trying to pull four Star-Quads.  The L-4E6S is pretty tough and it would be cheaper.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks.

Paul ;D

You can by without lube if you get the cable with a smooth insulator as opposed to the rubbery one on mic cable, and depending on how much you are pulling vs conduit size.  Lube is such a pain to clean up, but damn does it save a lot of hassles pulling.

Is it existing conduit or new?
If it's new, get the largest size you can.
In the past, I've used plastic sewer pipe (4" diameter) under floors.
Cheap and easy to glue together and there are lots of fittings that can work.
If you use metal, you should be able to get up to 2".
Just make sure the bends are nice and big and for longer runs, use pull boxes at strategic points.
I've pulled a lot of cable in my time and a great fish tape and lube makes the job much easier.
Besides, you just have to clean the lube from the exposed ends
Just don't try to pull too many wires through a too small pipe.
It's best to pull them all together.

If you just need 4 lines, then use the L4E5c if you have the room in the conduit.  It is always good to use something in there as a pull line- like use a CAT5 to pull your lines plus a new CAT5 and an actual pull string through.  Definitely get lube at the local electrical supply house.
If you do not have the room, then use the Canare MR202 4 pair or a Gepco 4 pair.  I would go with a foil shielded multipair.
When you pull, have someone keep the lines separate as they go into the pipe.  If they twist they use more room and can bind, and your pull string is useless later.
Mike

last time I had to pull a wire through a conduit, it was on a fresh build and the conduit was designated specific for audio connections. The conduit was only going to have 1 mic cable in it going from the floor to a mounted powered monitor/speaker.  there were 2 conduits in total so the speakers could be in stereo. I gave them diameter needed for conduit size and the construction workers decided to use a smaller size. So I ended up having to solder on a connector way up on a ladder. It was not fun at all.

kml23956 said:
Use the lube no matter what cable you choose.

http://www.amazon.com/Clearglide%C2%BF-Pulling-Lubricant-1-QUART-Squeeze/dp/B0019J8AGC

+1 million

Just do it!  It will make any future pulls easier too.  If you have trouble fishing the pull string you can try the old paper cone with light twine and a shop vacuum to suck it through, then pull the real pull string with that.  Works great when there are lots of bends.  Also, tape up the end as if you are going to be required to pull it back.  It's a no-brainer to make the head end smooth so it doesn't hang up when pulling, but if you get stuck and have, say, the back end of a D connector exposed, then you may get caught on a coupling when trying to back it out if you haven't planned for it. I once watched a pull that was all of 8-10' with one 90deg sweep go wrong. Some gummy Monster cable speaker wire that someone just had to have  ::) got half way and wouldn't go forward or backwards. Abandoned to the conduit and replaced with an ugly surface run.

Gloves and rags, gloves and rags...  ;D

Gee, thanks guys!  I've pulled plenty of stranded, (and solid) wire so I know about lube and I have a good fish tape.  I've just never pulled any audio wire.  I was concerned about pulling the jacket apart or opening the shield.  That's why the Canare L-4E4-4AT 4-Channel Star Quad made sense.  The 8-channel is just a bit more a foot, (and I can get it by the foot!), so I might talk the owner into using it.

The conduit is existing and I don't know the size, what and how may wires are in it yet.  I do know that there are five CAT5.  I hope there is no AC in there!  I was told there are at least two sweeps and possibly two boxes in the run.  It's underground so we'll have to dig the boxes up!  I was going to check that out today but they had a wedding going on, LOL.

I looked at the L4E5c but it's a lighter version of the Star Quad and again, I'm concerned about pulling it apart!  Canare MR202, this is interesting, hadn't looked at it.  Do you guys think that the two conductor vs the Star Quad would make that much difference?  With the 8AT i could run eight channels for $2/ft!  However it's 25 AWG and I try to stay away from the lighter gauge wire.  Also the L-4E4 has that Kevlar core.  Comments?

I'm just pulling the wire through, no connectors.  It will terminate in a sealed box outside in the pavilion.  I'm going to make up every thing i can in a separate box and use barrier strips to make the connections.  Then I'll just have to install the mixer, the connectors box etc. in the field, pull the wire and make the connections.  Viola!  Couldn't be easier!  (Ha.  That'll be the day!)

Thanks again for all the good comments!

Paul ;D

I honestly find that over long runs of cable that a quad configuration is not as important as 100% shield coverage.  I think that the Gotham quad achieves 100% with the double-lapped shield, but stays that way only in stationary use.
Mike

Paul G said:
The conduit is existing and I don't know the size, what and how may wires are in it yet.  I do know that there are five CAT5.  I hope there is no AC in there!  I was told there are at least two sweeps and possibly two boxes in the run.  It's underground so we'll have to dig the boxes up!  I was going to check that out today but they had a wedding going on, LOL.

Just wondering whether the conduit is metal or pvc. I'm sure metal would improve shielding. How far underground is it?

Best,
jonathan

sodderboy said:
I honestly find that over long runs of cable that a quad configuration is not as important as 100% shield coverage.  I think that the Gotham quad achieves 100% with the double-lapped shield, but stays that way only in stationary use.
Mike
Thanks , Mike.

;D

0dbfs said:
Paul G said:

Just wondering whether the conduit is metal or pvc. I'm sure metal would improve shielding. How far underground is it?

Best,
jonathan
I don't know yet.  Haven't been able to get over there and check.  I'm putting together a quote for the client.  It might be more than he wants to spend.  LOL

;D

When pulling cable through conduit, I always lube it with Sunlight dishwashing soap. Slips right in...

If you ever have to pull any cable out of the conduit, just wet the trailing end & this helps to reactivate the soap & removal is MUCH easier.

Peter

Latest posts

Back