Cable Recommendations?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pxpx83

I'm about ready to purchase a couple hundred feet of bulk cable to make some mic cables. I was thinking about going with Canare Star Quad (L-E46s). Anyone have any recommendations on other cable I should check out?

Thanks!

word. i just ordered 400ft of that exact same cable.

i got mine from Pacific Radio.

www.pacrad.com

really couldnt find it any cheaper. and man, check out the colors they offer.

white cable with anodized black neutrik = SEX

:green:

white cable with anodized black neutrik = MOD as Hell!

They have colored Canare at Pacific Radio!? That's where I buy all my cable, and all I see is black. Maybe they just keep the black stuff on their shelves. I guess it pays to read the catalog.

The Canare L-4E6S is good stuff. we use it by the roll here. It's a slight pain to work with the braided shield though, I wish it had a drain wire to make it easier.

[quote author="nacho459"]white cable with anodized black neutrik = MOD as Hell!

They have colored Canare at Pacific Radio!? That's where I buy all my cable, and all I see is black. Maybe they just keep the black stuff on their shelves. I guess it pays to read the catalog.[/quote]

yeh, i just got mine online, had a drop down menu with about 15 colors on the starquad.

theres so many models, and some were only black or grey. maybe thats what you were looking at.

It's cheeper at Markertek (36 cents per foot, no minimum) and they have all the colors most of the time.

I like to use the different colors to quicky identify where each cable runs in the studio. And I like the black Switchcraft myself!

The braided shield is a little more time consuming to work with but well worth it.

This cable has been discussed here before and some feel that the capacitance per foot is too high. L-4E5C miniature star-quad is a little better in this regard and is a little cheeper.

HTH!
Charlie

Canare is certainly excellent cable, especially if you're working in areas with lots of potential hum pickup. It is, however, something of a pain to solder, as others have noted.

A cable which I've had excellent results with is Neumann cable, sold in the USA as Gotham. It's easy to strip and solder (spiral shield), sounds good to my ears, and is very flexible, with less 'metal memory' in my experience than Canare. It has also provided better RFI rejection on a couple of occasions.

At one point Mouser was selling Gotham in bulk, but they don't any more.

Peace,
Paul

I prefer mogami. Not as stiff as canary but just as strong....

for non HD part # 2534

and for HD part # 2893
Plus Pacrad always got it in stock. Since I use Tech Flex on my wires which I get in different colors, The black cable doesn't bother me. But comes in multiple colors.
:grin:

what do you need the cable to do?

off the bat I wouldnt classify mogami anywhere NEAR the canare star quad in so far as strength is concerned. A camera dolly will slice mogami in a second, where you can run over star quad with an operator, an assistant and a panavision all riding... Mogami is also a lot harder to wrap quickly because of the softer rubber jacket. The braided shield on the star quad also offers a much higher degree of RF rejection than the mogami which has a twisted shield. Mogami sounds much better than canare though, much better. The only reason to use the star over the mogami is for all the durability issues I just mentioned. It has a much much softer high end (read roll off) than the mogami. Mogami has a copper drain wire also, so its much faster to wire up. It sounds good and is durable enough to sit on the floor of a recording studio with no problem. Redco.com makes a copy of the mogami wire and on my bench I cant tell the clippings apart, its half the price and its available 12 months out of the year, mogami can be often times difficult to get. I did the entire install for my studio with the redco TGS and it absolutely rules. Best value out there by far.

In the end Id use either the canare or the redco, but they are very application specific. I have tons of star quad cables in my studio which are overflow from my location package and they rarely get used in the studio. If you dont compare the two, you'll never ever for a second think the canare sounds bad, its great cable. When you start doing comparisons though, the high end on the mogami is more open, the TGS is just lower capacitence cable.

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]A camera dolly will slice mogami in a second, where you can run over star quad with an operator, an assistant and a panavision all riding... [/quote]

A few times I have accidently rolled a grand piano over Canare. No problem.

The jacketing on the tgs might be a litle thicker than the mogami, I know that seems to be the case with their multi pair. Not by a whole lot though.

dave

thanks for all the responses.

I'm just going to be using this cable for general studio work, so I guess the durability won't be an issue. Ease of soldering has me thinking I'll go with Mogami...

Latest posts

Back