5v from 48v phantom power

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantgetnosleep

Hello all,

I have a couple  Countryman B6 microphones that use 5v power (coming from a wireless system) that I would also like to be able to use with my studio mixer. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the best way to convert 48v phantom power to the 5 volts that the mic needs.

My thoughts were: taking only one leg of the phantom power to get 24v and then from their either a voltage divider or a voltage regulator of some sort.

But is there a "standard" solution for this issue? I (truly) did some searching but only found people trying to go the other way, i.e. converting up to 48v from lower voltages.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

cantgetnosleep said:
My thoughts were: taking only one leg of the phantom power to get 24v and then from their either a voltage divider or a voltage regulator of some sort.

Phantom doesn't work that way.  It's 48V on both pin 2 and pin 3 with respect to pin 1.

B6's actually run on 3V, but they usually have a voltage divider built into the connector to knock the typical 5V down.

Found this:
http://recordingengineering.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_use_an_electret_capsule_with_p48_power

Thanks for the replies!

Current draw is 500uA at an operating voltage of 1 to 2 volts. I didn't think about a zener.

Another thought that occurred to me is this: I have a number of Tram lavs with their TR-79 power supplies, and these appear to provide 5v, so I'm wondering if I could just adapt the connector to use the Tram power supply.

Cheers - Andrew

Latest posts

Back