How to salvage Outlook Data when there's a CRC error...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

Every couple of weeks I back up my Outlook 2003 PST file. In the last couple of weeks, my PC's started going slow (have run spyware / AV etc - it's not this), and I get a CRC error whenever I try and back up the PST. This is a major PITA as I often (daily) need access to old emails, and re-formating the machine will lose these.

I've bought a new HD (btw - laptop is a Dell 9300 running XP) and have also bought a caddy which comes with cloning software. The idea is that it makes a mirror of your old HD, enabling you to upgrade HDs without stress. However, if I get a CRC check now, how useful is this likely to be?

My current plan is to install the new HD, re-install XP and Office 2003, and use the old HD in a caddy (not using the cloning software). If I do this, will I be able to delve into my old emails? I'll have Office on the new HD, so why not?

Should I just try the cloning software to see what happens? You put new HD in the caddy, it clones old HD, whereupon you transplant new HD from caddy to PC.

BTW - I've searched Google for get-arounds on CRC problem HDs. None of the recommended tricks work. It won't copy my PST to any location, internal or external.

If you were in this situation, how would you get around it? (and don't tell me to get a Mac or move to Linux - that's not helpful!)

Thanks in advance.

Justin

Are you using POP or IMAP? If you use IMAP all of your emails exist on the server independantly from any software glitches.

Hi,

I use a POP3 account, so no joy there. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I'd be cool with a server holding several years' worth of my email!

J

My suggestions:
Make a clone file of your existing drive to an external drive so you can always get back to square one.  We use Acronis Snap Deploy (about $20), and it works well.
Then make new folders in Outlook (like one for each year) and move mail from your inbox to those folders.  You might find that only 1 email is causing your problem.
Good luck!
Bruno2000

Latest posts

Back