Eagle rule check errors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandersonic

Hello,
Before posting this, I've looked in the meta section and also did some text-searches and I haven't found anything that was an exact match. And most of what was "close", was more than a couple years old. If someone knows of an existing thread where this question would be more relevant, I'd be happy to know!

...that being said...

When I run the electrical rule check on my schematic in Eagle, I get loads of net and pin connection errors. However, when I zoom all the way in, I can see that they are, in fact, connected. I've re-drawn the schematic three times already and have tried substituting different component libraries from different sources and nothing seems to work. If it weren't for the fact that these errors result in missing air-wires on the board section, I wouldn't be worried about it. Sorry that I can't be more specific, but I'm still relatively new to the software...

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong or if there is a known work around?

I'm using the freeware version of Eagle 6.1 under Mac OS 10.7.3 (if that info is relevant)

Thanks very much!
Regards,
Frank

Is this board or schematic? All I can think of is make sure you are drawing nets/routing (depending on whether this is board or schematic) as opposed to just drawing lines.

Hi EJ,
Thanks for your reply!
This is in the schematic section. There's no point in going to the board section as any air-wires related to disputed connections in the schematic are simply omitted on the board layout. And yes, I always use the Net tool when making connections between components.
I've also tried deleting the application's Preference files which hasn't had any affect either. I'm pretty much out of logical ideas at this point and the project is thus at a standstill.

Bizarre.

I've got an older version of eagle and it does that and other stuff a lot. sometimes moving one wire or moving the part will help it connect up.  Then you can often end up with a spare wire you need to delete.

JR

In options/settings/ tab[various] you checked the auto_junction, auto_end_net, check_connects setting and set the snap-diameter to maybe 20mil ?
You set your grid to 0.1 inch ? (might need a change to mm for some rare/outdated european parts, such as 31pin DIN connectors, being on a 2.5mm grid)
Your default Class is 0 ?

John,
I tried shifting stuff around and undo/redo on some nets and nothing changed. :-(

Harpo,
I've attached a picture of the settings dialog box. As for the "Class" setting, I found it under the Edit menu under "Net Classes..." and it is set at 0 default. For the grid, I usually use a setting of 1mm for "Size" and for "Alt." I use .1mm.

Attachments

• Settings.jpg
    Settings.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 12
Sandersonic said:
For the grid, I usually use a setting of 1mm for "Size" and for "Alt." I use .1mm.
All standard components are on an 0.1 inch grid, so your mm grid will most often never match.
I have an older version, but your settings look OK.

Well!

The grid spacing settings seem to have eliminated about half of the problems. I've a little re-drawing & snap-to-grid stuff left to do, but it's looking very promising. I also had to edit some of the component libraries I'd made due to also having used the wrong grid settings when making them.

HUGE thank-you to all of you for your help!!  :)

Regards,
Frank

When I use EAGLE schematic, after I place and wire a part, I always try moving that part around to see if the "net" wires will "rubber band" with the part.  That way you know if it's really connected.  There are some errors of this nature that I still don't understand, but as long as the PCB routing reflects what I want, I let the errors go.
Best,
Bruno2000

Latest posts

Back