adding a balanced line in to the NYD one bottle

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Thinking about adding a balanced line in to dave's one bottle design.  Thinking on building a stereo unit with this added in. That way I can add tube character accross the stereo buss  during mix down. I am wondering the best way to implement this.

suggestions?

pucho812 said:
I am wondering the best way to implement this.

20-40dB u-pad on mic input.

Adding a specific line input transformer is a waste of a perfectly good line input transformer.

Oh and, with one bottle you're never really adding "tube character". The way the amp is setup is almost perfectly linear. You don't know it's a tube preamp until someone tells you it is. What you're listening to are transformers and caps.

Have you tried the version without feedback?

Kingston said:
pucho812 said:

Adding a specific line input transformer is a waste of a perfectly good line input transformer.

Oh and, with one bottle you're never really adding "tube character". The way the amp is setup is almost perfectly linear. You don't know it's a tube preamp until someone tells you it is. What you're listening to are transformers and caps.

Kingston said:
pucho812 said:

true your not adding any real tube character but there is something to the psychological aspect of it.

ChrioN said:
Have you tried the version without feedback?

Yes, but not with 6SN7. Distortion with 12VA7 is quite crude and "farty", rarely usable. Looking at the datasheets 6SN7 should somewhat cure this, and generate mostly 2nd harmonic with very round saturation, instead of the sharper 12VA7 clipping.

But 6SN7 is damn expensive, and modern remakes aren't the same.  :(

I eventually ended up spicing up the MILA-1 feedback switch to make it more controllable with 12AV7 and it works quite well this way.

Latest posts

Back