Buss compressor option

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conleycd

I need some opinions.  I'm putting together a mono mixer for some background vocals on stage (so a just a mono signal for the sound guy).  I was hoping to throw in a bus compressor - something in the $125 area.

So from a DIY perspective I think I have two options.  JLM audio's Mac Optical kit or I was thinking of wiring up a DBX 903 (from the 900 series rack).  Easy enough to do.  I know the DBX is much like a SSL channel comp.

What do people think?

CC

Actually, you need a limiter, so I doubt the opto compressor can have a sharp enough ratio.
If the ratio is moderate, then, in order to provide effective protection, you will need to reduce the threshold, which means that you'll also need to increase the gain in order to have enough level in normal conditions. This will make the system feedback-prone.
I think you should do some experiments first; you will find that some comp/lims work noticeably better than others in this application.

I know some folks have had good results modding the alesis 3630, that can't be much more than $125 including the mods

You're in RNC territory, I think.  BGV's is one of the things I found it good for. 

Hmmm... I sold my RNC a while back.  I used it on my guitar pedalboard (my belief that I can't use compression without VU indication because I don't know what it's doing).  I know it's my own delusion.  The Lord-Alge's these days (especially Tom) say move the knobs until it sounds good.

I don't think I'll do any heavy compression just riding off the peaks of a BGV that gets too big too quick.

The 903 is a pretty fast attack and release (I don't know what they actually are because they're not user adjustable).  The ratio goes beyond limiting to "infinity."

I was thinking 903 because I could incorporate it into a DIY panel pretty easily.  The power supply is -/+ 15 and -/+ 24 for the DBX 900 series.  This would work with the mixer option I was thinking along with the W492 EQ.

I love Joe's JLM stuff.  I think cost wise the Opto would be similar.  I would probably just use his dINgO for balancing and gain (as needed with the OPTO kit).  I would be super tempted to drop in some DAOs... so it brings the cost up to about a 903.

I'm probably more inclined to use the JLM Opto kit on a vocal strip idea I had in mind (Discrete Animal Pre, Opto, W492 EQ with a hybrid opamp at the end of the chain for driving a output transformer).

CC

Back