Hum eliminator in power strips

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skiroy

So IM trying to solve all my noise issues. I have everything going into Furman power conditioners.

1.But the question is why am I having to use ground lift switches to reduce noise?Is this what the furman is supposed to be doing? Correcting ground noise issues. And what are the other causes for noise besides hum?

2. Isnt the furmans supposed to have hum eliminators in them? Is hum a ground problem and can ground problems introduce different noise issues other then hum?

3.And do Hum eliminator adapters do the same thing as ground lifts or whats the deal them?

4.And are there any power strips that have hum eliminators built in.

Some one told me that power strips from office max are quiet but I dont know he was referring to hum or or that they get rid of other kind of noise,like static. I just know I am getting very irritated because I bought 5 power conditions that now seem like they are not doing much of anything. I dont see why I should have to buy hum eliminators or even have to use a ground lift switch, when the furmans are supposed to take any noise off the power lines,protect my equipment and correct grounding issue noise. Which Im still unclear as what causes a grounding issue and how to fix it without using a ground lift switch or converting from a 3 prong to a 2 prong,which both seems like band aids to me.

Skiroy said:
1.But the question is why am I having to use ground lift switches to reduce noise?Is this what the furman is supposed to be doing? Correcting ground noise issues. And what are the other causes for noise besides hum?
Those power strips don't really do anything with regards to hum. The only way to solve hum problem is to ensure correct star ground in the equipment itself. Correct grounding between all the equipment. Sometimes, like in live PA rigs, it's impossible to get rig of hum without isolating transformers. Is you equipment balanced or un-balanced?

Skiroy said:
2. Isnt the furmans supposed to have hum eliminators in them?
They do not have "hum eliminators" in them. Hum can have many sources. Poorly manufacture equipment. Bad grounding. Hum generated from connecting 2 pieces of equipment, as far as I know, is mostly caused by poor grounding in systems. It is most noticeable in un-balanced systems. It is caused by a difference in ground potential. Because copper has a resistance no ground is literally a 0V. Two pieces of equipment, plugged into two separate 110/220V sockets, could have a difference in volts between their respective ground. When connected together this causes buzz and hum. Also, in un-balanced system, the ground is part of the signal route. That's whats called a ground loop. Audio signal travels trough the ground connection picking up hum and buzz.

Skiroy said:
2. Is hum a ground problem and can ground problems introduce different noise issues other then hum?
In digital system, ground problems can cause jitter and dropouts

And sometimes hum has nothing (directly) to do with ground (check out the discussion on the CRC board in the GSSL)

To remove hum, make sure all equipment is plugged into 1 mains socket and use a star system to distribute power to all equipment (this is were the Furman is beneficial as it has all those sockets on the back). Also use balanced audio connectors between equipment. You can get isolating washer for racked gear such as digital effects using wall warts (cause their cases are not grounder). Drive a couple of 6 foot copper spikes into the ground under your studio floor. Get a transformer balanced power mains supply....

The list could go on and on....

But most importantly make sure every piece of equipment has a solid power supply unit (PSU) and grounding.

Also remember that your hum may be coming from somewhere else like a power transformer, dimmer switches, etc...

All my equipment is balanced so I should have to worry about noise being introduced through the signal lines.

1.So would a hum eliminator plug adapter solve these issues?

2.Can you explain jitter a little more? When I reamp out of my DAW my guitar amp does this noisy ticky noise. Is that jitter? HOw can I get rid of it? By pluging my Audio Interface into a UPS?

A "hum eliminator" plug like the ebtech HumX is a single power balancing transformer designed to use with a small load.
You need to commission your setup properly.  ALL power grounds should be connected for human and machine safety.  
Start with only one monitor connected to your monitor controller, nothing else plugged in, audio OR power, and listen for hum.  Hum is mostly caused by multiple connections between chassis'.  Even the simple setup could hum with monitor and controller chassis' connected by audio shields and power cords.  In that case the audio shields get lifted at the monitors.  Build short XLR and 1/4" TRS M/F cables with shields lifted to do your testing.  Does the hum go away with the shield lift cable?
Connect one piece of equipment at a time and listen for hum.  
Do some searches as well.  This is described in detail by many.
Mike

Latest posts

Back