Anyone recognize this connector? TEAC 40-4

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuka42

Dx4 connection between a dx4 noise reduction unit and a TEAC 40-4 reel to reel. I don’t have the cable to connect the two so either I find out what this connector is and make a cable to fit or I replace the whole lot with a db25 or a 16 pin molex.

Is it a standard connector or is it proprietary to TEAC?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5506.jpeg
    IMG_5506.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5505.jpeg
    IMG_5505.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5507.jpeg
    IMG_5507.jpeg
    620.4 KB · Views: 1
Dx4 connection between a dx4 noise reduction unit and a TEAC 40-4 reel to reel. I don’t have the cable to connect the two so either I find out what this connector is and make a cable to fit or I replace the whole lot with a db25 or a 16 pin molex.
How is the audio connected?
I suspect you have a total of 8 audio connections between the tape machine and the dbx unit.
A long time ago, I sold dozens of modified DX4/8. They were not supposed to work with other brands of machines. The lack of control connection mutes all sections.
The mod was very easy, IIRC, it consisted in cutting one or two resistors, and that was it.
It left the mute transistors in circuit. Although not supposed to conduct, large peaks turned on the b-e junction zener, which resulted in asymmetric clipping. The full mod entailed removing the transistors, which allowed users to operate at +4 nominal.
The DX4/8D seems to be a tad more complex, though, but a simple mod should be doable.
Remember, this was not done to fulfill any users wishes, just to prevent using these NR units, which were quite inexpensive, with other brand equipment.
The contract between Tascam and dbx is long obsolete now.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The Honda connector was a good idea. They look extremely similar but someone else mentioned Hirose sumicon1600 connectors which I think are correct but maybe hard to find. I’ll jerry rig something with matchbooks and duct tape if I can’t find the specific one. :)

There’s a mixer input and output per channel, and an encode out and decode in for each channel. To be honest I’ll need to look into how to properly connect it to the deck and use it in practice. I have the user manual and service manual for it which has helped.

As far as I understand, the control cable I’m talking about allows it to switch automagically from encode to decode when recording vs playback?

That’s very interesting about the modifications you used to do to them. I’ll have to find a schematic of the dx4 to try to wrap my head around. You would mod them to be able to use them with devices other than Teac and do away with the control cable is that correct? I’m interested in a deeper understanding of the unit.
Here’s a better photo of the connections.

Attachments

• IMG_5524.jpeg
    IMG_5524.jpeg
    623.8 KB · Views: 2
This is how I am thinking it all gets connected?

Attachments

• IMG_5528.jpeg
    IMG_5528.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 1
There’s a mixer input and output per channel, and an encode out and decode in for each channel. To be honest I’ll need to look into how to properly connect it to the deck and use it in practice. I have the user manual and service manual for it which has helped.
I also have a partial schemo, and I can conclude that there is no major operational difference with the older types.
As far as I understand, the control cable I’m talking about allows it to switch automagically from encode to decode when recording vs playback?
No. Encode and decode circuits are separate and always engaged, except when the unit is put in Bypass. There is no audio switching. Only mutes.
That’s very interesting about the modifications you used to do to them. I’ll have to find a schematic of the dx4 to try to wrap my head around. You would mod them to be able to use them with devices other than Teac and do away with the control cable is that correct?
That's exactly what I did.

I did find a site selling a hirose female end but they want quite a bit for it and I would need both a male and a female end anyway. Opposite connectors on both machines. That’d be amazing if your friend had a couple I could purchase to make a proper cable. Thanks! Otherwise I’ll go the db25 route or look into the mod idea.

We've seen several answers in this thread...Honda, WAKA (?) and Hirose.

Is this a case where more than one manufacturer sells compatible connectors?

Examples: Cannon introduced the XLR, but many other brands sell compatible connectors. IIRC, more than one company made the (still available) metal/round "military" multipins that would interconnect between brands.

Bri

Last edited:
Tascam Ninja has connectors pulled from an old machine that I could use as well. Not a cable end but I’d be able to make them work. Slightly cheaper as well. Thanks for your help everyone!
I’ll start a new thread soon and show the work I’ve done to the old machine if anyone is interested. Recapped the power supply, new motor run caps, cleaned out the old grease and oiled the bearings. It’s slowly coming back to life.

Just contact Hirose. Some of the US distributors still list 1600 series parts as in stock; you may get really lucky. I needed connectors for the Studer 089/189 series. I contacted the manufacturer, and they happened to have some (I got the rest they had). You might be surprised. and Brian is right, popular contact/connector types are often manufactured by several places - or custom run for other manufacturers by several companies over the production run.

Latest posts

Back