Could this be modified for use as mic preamp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetfoot

I scored this ceco 1019 video amplifier. Can anyone tell me if this could be modified to be used as a mic preamp? It looks like very early transistor tech, maybe 60s or even late 50s era, but seems to be made with high quality components. I can’t seem to find anything about it online.
IMG_9963.jpegIMG_9962.jpegIMG_9964.jpeg

From the pictures, I really doubt that unit would be useful for audio. It appears that unit was designed for composite video as used in Ye Olde analog video systems....NTSC in the USA. The EQ pots were intended to compensate for cable losses within a facility. Also, these devices were essentially unity gain with 75 Ohm input and output impedances.

Bri

Thank you all for the responses! Looks like I'll end up parting it out and building something new in the chassis. Maybe I can reuse the transformers and germanium transistors in another project

Looking at the photos again.....that might use Nuvistor tubes. Not really useful for audio.

Also, one of those metal "transformers" might be a filter choke.

Bri

Last edited:
As far as Nuvistors for audio - users of the Ampex MR-70 may beg to differ.
Good point! The MR-70 was a "last hurrah" for pro tape recorders using vacuum tubes. Much of the design work was done by John (Jay) McKnight who went on to start Magnetic Reference Laboratories. MRL became the standard for alignment tapes, even to the current times.

Bri

Good point! The MR-70 was a "last hurrah" for pro tape recorders using vacuum tubes. Much of the design work was done by John (Jay) McKnight who went on to start Magnetic Reference Laboratories. MRL became the standard for alignment tapes, even to the current times.

Bri
Also, mechanically one of the finest tape machines ever made.

They look like chubby TO-5 transistors, usually with 5 pins. You will also find them in some microphones AKG c12a/b come to mind. There are several SDC nuvistor mics too... and a stomp box or two. They are cool little devices. They can withstand something like 1000 G's while running - not your typical vacuum tube. HI-FI guys use them too.

What made me wonder about the possibility of nuvistors in the design were the many wiring leads exiting the power transformer and the 150 uF/150 Volt electrolytic. Shrug....just a guess on my part!

Bri

Latest posts

Back